In a perfect world, all the divisions in the MLB would be tight races all the way to the final week of the season, but that is never how things play out. It can be more than a little disheartening to see any division turn into a cakewalk for one team, or for it to turn into a 2-horse race in the early going. It is the latter that is happening in the AL East, as the MLB Betting favorites New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are starting to open up some space at the top.The Toronto Blue Jays are hanging in there a little better than we all expected, but even this early in the season, they are looking at what could prove to be a pivotal series against the Boston Red Sox. The MLB Odds underdogs Blue Jays find themselves 6 ½ games off the pace already, despite being in third in the division, and a loss in this series could create a hole that might well prove to be impossible to get out of. The Red Sox need this series, too, as they need to keep pace with the streaking Yankees.
Friday Night Game Info & MLB Betting Pick: Boston at Toronto
- When: Friday, May 11, 7:07 PM EST
- Where: Rogers Centre, Toronto
- Starting Pitchers: Chris Sale vs. Aaron Sanchez
- TV: NESN / SNET-1
- Radio: Boston WEEI 93.7 / Toronto SN590
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Betting Odds: Boston Red Sox -205 (Over/Under at 8.5)
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: Boston Red Sox 5.00 / Toronto Blue Jays 4.70
- Hits: Boston Red Sox 9.00 / Toronto Blue Jays 8.70
- Walks: Boston Red Sox 3.50 / Toronto Blue Jays 2.80
- Strike Outs: Boston Red Sox 9.10 / Toronto Blue Jays 10.50
Why bet on the Boston Red Sox?It really could not be any tighter at the top in the AL East, as the Red Sox and Yankees share the exact same 26-11 record at the top. Boston was on the brink of being swept by the Yankees but managed to save a little face by picking up the final game of the series on Thursday night. The Red Sox left it late to get that win over their bitter rivals, with J.D. Martinez hitting one out of the park to put Boston ahead for good.Boston has the second-best run total in the MLB, and they are probably going to need all of that against a Blue Jays team that very often finds themselves pulled into high scoring games. The Red Sox are getting good work from their starters, but often give up runs late via a bullpen that is yet to find their feet. Boston will send Chris Sale (3-1, 2.02 ERA) to the mound for this one.
Why bet on the Toronto Blue Jays?The Toronto Blue Jays made an unexpectedly solid start to the season, but the reality of a rebuilding year is starting to set in, as they are now just 4-6 in their last 10 games. They still maintain a winning record at 20-18, but that could be in jeopardy this weekend against a Red Sox team that is among the very best in baseball right now.The Blue Jays have now lost back to back series and have seen their bats start to go cold during that stretch. This is still a team that is dangerous at-bat, though, as their 188 runs scored is still good enough for 6th in the league. If they can get hot again at the plate, they could pose some problems for Boston. It will be Aaron Sanchez (2-3, 4.14 ERA) who gets the start here.
Latest MLB Betting Trends
- Red Sox are 13-4 ATS in their last 17 games when playing on the road against Toronto
- Red Sox are 15-6 SU in their last 21 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston’s last 6 games
- Blue Jays are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games
- Blue Jays are 2-5 SU in their last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Toronto’s last 5 games when playing at home against Boston