The trade deadline in the MLB is where we see some pretty major moves, and while there appear to be some definite winners and losers, we don’t really know how those trades will play out until the season is over. A trade that looks to be a blockbuster can very often blow up in the face of the team we believed would get better after making the move. It’s still way too early to tell how the moves made at this year’s trade deadline will play out, but for the Houston Astros, their biggest mover had an immediate impact, with Zack Greinke getting the win in his first start with the Astros.
Houston is now on an absolute tear and is closing in on yet another AL West Division crown. They will look to keep their positive run going with another win over the Colorado Rockies, who they have beaten in all 3 meetings this season. It is perhaps no real surprise that the Astros are once again in as the favorite for this one. They are favored by 1 ½, with the run total set at 8 ½.
How to Bet Rockies vs Astros MLB Spread & Expert Pick
- When: Wednesday, August 7 at 2:10 PM EST
- Where: Minute Maid Park, Houston
- Starting Pitchers: Lambert vs. Cole
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: 610 AM
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Spread: Houston Astros -1.5 (Total 8.5)
- Mostly Sunny: 36°C/96°F
- Humidity: 43%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 29%
- Wind: 7 mph SSW
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Why bet on the Colorado Rockies?
A season that started with so much promise has turned into a bit of a nightmare for the Colorado Rockies, as they are now in a position where their playoff chances appear to be dead. With their 11-6 loss to the Astros in the opening game of this 2-game interleague series, the Rockies are now 4-6 in their last 10 games. That has left them rooted to the bottom of the NL West, a staggering 22 ½ games off the pace being set by the LA Dodgers.
More importantly, though, they are now seriously out of reach of the final spot in the Wild Card, suggesting that they are essentially done for the season. Colorado is now 23-34 SU on the road, but they have been a decent bet as a road dog, going 25-19 ATS. They will have Peter Lambert (2-2, 5.71 ERA) on the mound for this one.
- Runs: 5.34
- Hits: 9.38
- Walks: 2.96
- Strike Outs: 9.29
- Runs: 5.69
- Hits: 9.71
- Walks: 3.42
- Strike Outs: 8.05
Why bet on the Houston Astros?
The Astros appear to be a team that is stepping things up a gear ahead of the playoffs. They come into this game on a 5-game winning streak that has taken them to 8-2 in their last 10 games. More importantly, though, it has allowed them to open up a 9-game lead at the top of the AL West.
While it would be easy for them to take their foot off the gas a little at this point, the Astros will want to ensure that they get the #1 seed in the AL, as that would ensure home-field advantage through the postseason. That’s a big deal when you consider that they are 42-15 in their own ballpark. This will be the final of 4 games versus the Rockies this year, with the Astros holding a 3-0 lead. They will have Gerrit Cole (13-5, 2.87 ERA) starting this one.
- Runs: 5.27
- Hits: 9.30
- Walks: 3.81
- Strike Outs: 7.17
- Runs: 3.96
- Hits: 7.27
- Walks: 2.85
- Strike Outs: 10.12
Rockies vs Astros MLB Betting Trends
- Rockies are 3-11 SU in their last 14 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Colorado’s last 13 games this season
- Astros are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Houston’s last 12 games against Colorado
- Rockies are 47-38 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.
- Astros are 14-18 against the money line in home games in August games over the last 3 seasons
- Lambert is 0-1 when starting against HOUSTON with an ERA of 7.20 and a WHIP of 1.600
- Cole is 4-1 when starting against COLORADO with an ERA of 2.39 and a WHIP of 1.142
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Rockies vs Astros
Given how the Astros are playing right now, not to mention how good they are at home, it’s tough to imagine them not completing the regular-season series sweep of the Rockies. I see a comfortable win for Houston here.
Score: Colorado Rockies 3 – Houston Astros 8