What’s going on in the National League this year? Six of the top seven teams to have the most games go over the betting total this season are from the Senior Circuit. It really has been a season to watch, with many surprise along the way. All things considered, NL games are lower-scoring because the pitcher has to hit. Here are three-best over teams in the MLB Total Runs as of Tuesday.
MLB Total Runs: Best Over Teams So Far in 2017
New York Mets ( Current MLB Total Runs 41-20-8 O/U)This probably surprises people because the Mets were projected to have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. But injuries to essentially every starter have wrecked that staff and it’s why the Mets’ totals are going over more often than not. Ace Noah Syndergaard hasn’t pitched in weeks and won’t before August – if then.The new best-case scenario for Syndergaard, who has not pitched since April 30, is a late-August return. By that point, he will have missed roughly two-thirds of the regular season.
The Injuries Don’t Stop Coming for the MetsSyndergaard’s initial timetable had him potentially throwing as soon as this month, with a return possible in mid to late July. For Syndergaard, the lat injury is a saga that began in April, when he skipped a start due to right biceps tendinitis and subsequently declined an MRI. In his next outing, Syndergaard tore his lat.Meanwhile, Matt Harvey also was recently lost, but frankly he wasn’t very good when he did pitch. Over his last nine starts, Harvey walked 30 batters in 45 innings, posting a 6.60 ERA before getting hurt. Both Seth Lugo and Steven Matz both recently made their season debuts due to injury. For now, the team will focus as much as it can on keeping its five healthy starters — Jacob deGrom, Matz, Robert Gsellman, Lugo and Zack Wheeler — on the field.
Miami Marlins ( Current MLB Total Runs 39-25-4 O/U)Simple solution here: the Marlins don’t have an ace after Jose Fernandez died late last season and their whole pitching staff has suffered – Edinson Volquez’s no-hitter a few weeks ago notwithstanding.Over his first nine starts of 2017, Volquez pitched to a 0-7 record and 4.82 ERA (46.2 ip/25 er), taking the loss in six consecutive starts from April 19-May 24. He snapped an eight-game losing streak dating back to last season with a win against Philadelphia on May 29.
Has Edinson Volquez Done Better Since Then?Over his last four starts, he is 3-0 with a no-hitter and a 1.73 ERA (26.0/5). He has the lowest opponents average (.119) in the Majors since May 29, while his ERA ranks seventh. So maybe he can turn it around. The Fish also can bash the ball.With Marcell Ozuna (18 HR/50 RBI), Justin Bour (18/48) and Giancarlo Stanton (18/46), Miami has three players with 18+ home runs prior to the All-Star Break for just the second time in Club history. The 2008 Marlins had Hanley Ramirez (23), Dan Uggla (23), Mike Jacobs (19) and Jorge Cantu (18) at or over the 18 HR mark prior to the break.
Cincinnati Reds ( Current MLB Total Runs 40-26-3 O/U)The Reds’ starters have the worst ERA in the majors by far so that’s why many of their games go over – plus they play their home games in hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark. Injuries haven’t helped. RHP Homer Bailey is 3 starts into his rehab assignment (3-0, 1.08 ERA).Bailey has been on the disabled list all season following 2/18 arthroscopic surgery to remove small bone spurs from his right elbow. LHP Brandon Finnegan has been disabled since mid-April with left shoulder issues. Fellow pitcher Bronson Arroyo just landed on the DL and his career might be over.
What Have the Reds Done to Fill the Void?The 21 pitchers used by the Reds are tied for eighth-most in the Major Leagues behind the Mariners (29), Twins (25), Orioles (23), Angels (23), Mets (22), Padres (22) and Rays (22).The Reds already this season have used 10 starting pitchers, including 5 rookie starters, and 10 rookie pitchers overall. Only the Mariners (12) and Mets (11) have used more starting pitchers than the Reds this season.
Latest MLB Betting Trends
New York Mets
- 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games
- 1-5 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of NY Mets’s last 8 games
- 9-4 ATS in its last 13 games on the road
- 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Miami’s last 6 games
- 10-2 ATS in its last 12 games at home
- 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home
- 3-6 ATS in its last 9 games
- 1-10 SU in its last 11 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Cincinnati’s last 5 games
- 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
Upcoming MLB Schedule
New York Mets
- Wednesday, June 21st @ Los Angeles Dodgers. 10:10pm ET
- Thursday, June 22nd @ Los Angeles Dodgers. 10:10pm ET
- Friday, June 23rd @ San Francisco Giants. 10:15pm ET
- Saturday, June 24th @ San Francisco Giants. 7:15pm ET
- Sunday, June 25th @ San Francisco Giants. 4:05pm ET
- Wednesday, June 21st vs. Washington Nationals. 12:10pm ET
- Thursday, June 22nd vs. Chicago Cubs. 7:10pm ET
- Friday, June 23rd vs. Chicago Cubs. 7:10pm ET
- Saturday, June 24th vs. Chicago Cubs. 4:10pm ET
- Sunday, June 25th vs. Chicago Cubs. 1:10pm ET
- Wednesday, June 21st @ Tampa Bay Rays. 8:40pm ET
- Friday, June 23rd @ Washington Nationals. 10:10pm ET
- Saturday, June 24th @ Washington Nationals. 10:10pm ET
- Sunday, June 25th @ Washington Nationals. 4:10pm ET
- Monday, June 26th @ St. Louis Cardinals. 4:15pm ET