There are two or three teams in each of the NBA conferences that are head and shoulders above the rest, and who we expect to win the majority of games that they play. There are some NBA betting enthusiasts who try to only wager on the games in which the big guns play, feeling that they are increasing their opportunities of cashing a winning ticket by playing the chalk. If you prefer a bit more of a challenge, not to mention the opportunity to win at better odds, then it’s the games outside those played by the top teams that are perhaps the most intriguing.
There are a lot of teams in this league that are similar in stats, strengths, and weaknesses, and it is the match-ups between those guys that are often the most fin to wager. We have one of those games on Tuesday night, with the Denver Nuggets going on the road to face the Detroit Pistons, with both teams sitting on the exact same record, and both also in playoff spots in their respective conferences.
This has all the makings of a close one, so be sure to check the latest NBA lines before submitting your betting ticket. In the meantime, let’s dive into the game preview.
NBA Betting Preview & Expert Pick: Nuggets vs. Pistons
Mason Plumlee does not give up on plays. pic.twitter.com/QjA3FiGeL9
— Denver Nuggets (@nuggets) 10 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Tuesday, December 12 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Little Caesars Arena, Detroit
- TV: ALT2 and FSDT
- Radio: 92.5 FM (Denver) / 97.1 FM (Detroit)
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Betting Odds: TBA
- All: Denver Nuggets 14-12 / Detroit Pistons 14-12
- Home: Denver Nuggets 10-2 / Detroit Pistons 8-4
- Away: Denver Nuggets 4-10 / Detroit Pistons 6-8
- As Favorite: Denver Nuggets 12-5 / Detroit Pistons 9-3
- As Underdog: Denver Nuggets 2-7 / Detroit Pistons 5-9
- ATS: Denver Nuggets 10-16 / Detroit Pistons 16-8-2
- Over/Under: Denver Nuggets 12-14 / Detroit Pistons 11-15
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Denver Nuggets lead 6-4
- Score: Denver Nuggets 100.20 / Detroit Pistons 100.50
- Field Goal Percentage: Denver Nuggets 45.65 / Detroit Pistons 43.04
- Rebounds: Denver Nuggets 44.20 / Detroit Pistons 44.50
- 3 Point Shots: Denver Nuggets 71-215 / Detroit Pistons 83-244
- Steals: Denver Nuggets 7.00 / Detroit Pistons 8.30
Why bet on the Denver Nuggets?
Th Denver Nuggets currently find themselves in the #5 spot in the Western Conference with a 14-12 record on the season. This is a team that has reached that point by being dominant in their own building, where they have gone 10-2 this season. Things have not been as good for them on the road, with just 4 wins from their 14 games away from home. That does not bode well for them as they prepare to head to Detroit, a team that beat them in both meetings last season.
The Nuggets are probably quite pleased with their current position, but they cannot be happy that they are basically just treading water right now, going 5-5 in their last 10 games. With 107.3 PPG, they are in the top 10 in scoring, but they are also giving up about the same PPG, which has them nearer to the bottom of the pack. The Nuggets have gone just 2-7 versus teams with a record above .500.
- Total Score: 107.31
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.98
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.07
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.30
- Total Rebounds: 44.88
- Total Score: 107.65
- Field Goal Percentage: 48.16
- Three-Point Percentage: 38.02
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.19
- Total Rebounds: 41.77
Why bet on the Detroit Pistons?
The Pistons have the exact same 14-12 record as the Nuggets, but they are a team that is losing momentum at a rather alarming rate. Detroit is coming into this week on a 6-game losing skid, and they really need a win if they are to stay above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference. The good news for Detroit is that they are playing a Nuggets team that they handled quite comfortably last season, winning both meetings by an average of 14 PPG.
The Pistons also have a winning record at home this year, going 8-4 in their first 12 games in their own building. The downside is that most of their wins have come against sub-.500 teams this season, as they are just 7-11 versus teams with a winning record. Detroit is averaging 103.2 PPG on offense, and are giving up 102.2 PPG, which is good enough to have them in the top 10 defensively.
- Total Score: 103.15
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.20
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.55
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.86
- Total Rebounds: 42.46
- Total Score: 102.23
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.57
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.02
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.76
- Total Rebounds: 42.92
Latest NBA Betting Trends
- Nuggets are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games
- Nuggets are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Denver’s last 6 games
- Pistons are 2-3-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- Pistons are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Detroit’s last 6 games
Expert NBA Betting Pick and Final Score Prediction
This is going to be a close one, I believe, and I like Detroit to snap out of their losing skid on Tuesday night. The Nuggets have been brutal on the road, and it’s that which may make all the difference.
Score: Denver Nuggets 104 – Detroit Pistons 105