The Houston Rockets had their 14-game winning streak come to a shocking halt against the rebuilding Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night! Now, the big question for NBA bettors concerning the Rockets heading into their Friday night matchup against the visiting Los Angeles Clippers is whether Houston can bounce back to cover the sizable NBA spread without future Hall of Fame point guard Chris Paul.
Let’s find out now which team offers the best NBA betting value when these two teams hook up at the Toyota Center at 8:00 PM ET with this contest airing live on ESPN.
Can Rockets Cover Big NBA Spread Against Clippers Without CP3?
🗣 Postgame Sound: “…we have a lot of guys out still, but we feel like we still have a really talented team…” – @Dekker
— LA Clippers (@LAClippers) 21 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Friday, Dec. 22, 2017, 8:00 PM ET
- Where: Toyota Center. Houston, TX
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 1570 AM (Los Angeles) / 610 AM (Houston)
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Spread: Houston Rockets -11.5 (Over/Under at 219)
- All: Los Angeles Clippers 12-18 / Houston Rockets 25-5
- Home: Los Angeles Clippers 7-7 / Houston Rockets 13-4
- Away: Los Angeles Clippers 5-11 / Houston Rockets 12-1
- As Favorite: Los Angeles Clippers 9-6/ Houston Rockets 24-4
- As Underdog: Los Angeles Clippers 3-12/ Houston Rockets 1-1
- ATS: Los Angeles Clippers 15-15 / Houston Rockets 16-13-1
- Over/Under: Los Angeles Clippers 13-16-1 / Houston Rockets 16-14
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Houston Rockets lead 7-3
- Score: Los Angeles Clippers 111.80 / Houston Rockets 116.80
- Field Goal Percentage: Los Angeles Clippers 46.64 / Houston Rockets 46.43
- Rebounds: Los Angeles Clippers 49.90 / Houston Rockets 40.40
- 3 Point Shots: Los Angeles Clippers 112-335 / Houston Rockets 107-313
- Steals: Los Angeles Clippers 7.10 / Houston Rockets 8.60
Why should the L.A. Clippers be your NBA Betting Pick?
Why bet on the Clippers in this Friday night affair? Well, because they’re playing decent basketball lately and picked up a confidence-boosting win the last time out. Los Angeles has gone 4-3 over their last seven games and beat the Phoenix Suns 108-95 on Wednesday night to cash in as a 5.5-point home favorite.
The Clippers placed six players in double figures in scoring and got a team-high 21 points from Austin Rivers while also getting 12 points and 20 rebounds from all-star center DeAndre Jordan. Veteran Lou Williams chipped in 18 points off the bench.
“We’ve got to stay in this until we get our guys back,” Rivers said. “Whoever is on the floor, let’s just attack.”
The Clippers’ lineup included rookies C.J. Williams and Jamil Williamson. Williams had 12 points and Wilson scored 11.
“C.J. is solid,” coach Doc Rivers said. “Jamil can shoot the ball and he’s learning everything else on the fly.”
- Total Score: 103.47
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.79
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.99
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.04
- Total Rebounds: 43.77
- Total Score: 105.63
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.67
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.19
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.09
- Total Rebounds: 43.33
Why should the Houston Rockets your NBA Betting Pick?
Why bet on Houston in this contest? Well, because they’re the better team and have far more talent on their roster than the Clippers.
Chris Paul will miss this affair with a sore left adductor.
The injury caused Paul to leave early in the fourth quarter of Wednesday’s 122-116 loss to the Lakers which snapped Houston’s 14-game winning streak. It was the first loss in a Rockets uniform for Paul, who missed a month due to a left knee contusion after playing in the Rockets’ season-opening victory over the Warriors.
Paul, a nine-time All-Star who pushed to be traded from the Clippers to Houston over the summer, has averaged 17.1 points, 9.0 assists and 2.1 steals in 16 games for the Rockets.
Houston lost for the first time since Nov. 14, while the Lakers snapped a three-game skid.
“We didn’t play defense at all today,” Houston’s Trevor Ariza said. “They got whatever they wanted and when that happens, you lose.”
- Total Score: 115.30
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.92
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.96
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.74
- Total Rebounds: 44.30
- Total Score: 104.60
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.13
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.16
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.52
- Total Rebounds: 40.73
Latest NBA Betting Trends
- Rockets are 2-3-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- Rockets are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Houston’s last 7 games
- Clippers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- Clippers are 6-16 SU in their last 22 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Clippers’s last 5 games
Expert NBA Betting Pick & Score Prediction
While the line for this Friday night matchup has not been released as of yet, you should expect the Rockets to be favored by 10-12 points, not that it will matter much. I’m fully expecting the Rockets to regain their mojo and roll all over a Clippers team that is basically playing with a bunch of unknown youngsters who are all trying to navigate their way through the bright lights and big stage of the NBA.
The Rockets average almost 12 points per game more than the Clippers while also allowing one fewer point per game defensively.
The Clippers are 3-9 against the NBA Spread in their last 12 games against their Western Conference counterparts, 1-4 ATS in their last five road games against a team with a home winning percentage of greater than .600 and 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games against teams from the Southwest Division.
Conversely, the Rockets are a bankroll-boosting 9-3 ATS in their last 12 games against their Western Conference counterparts, 5-2-1 ATS in their last eight games following an ATS loss and 4-1 ATS in their last five home games against the Clippers.
Houston will put the ball back in James Harden’s hands and they’ll win big as they ask him to take control of their offense just like they did with Paul out of the lineup for almost a month this season. They will cover the NBA spread with no problem!
Score: L.A. Clippers 108 – Houston Rockets 125