Once we reach this stage of the NBA season, there are usually a couple of different races taking place at both conferences. At the top, there are generally a few teams duking it out to land the top spot and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, while a battle of a different sort rages down near the playoff line. The teams that end up in the #7 and #8 spots in their respective conferences very often end up being first-round fodder, but there is still something to be said for making it into the postseason after a tough regular season schedule.
Things are tight at both ends of the spectrum in the Eastern and Western Conferences right now and we have a pair of teams sitting down near the playoff line going head to head on Tuesday night. In the Western Conference, the LA Clippers are clinging to the final playoff spot by the skin of their teeth, while the Charlotte Hornets are a little more comfortable in the #7 spot in the Eastern Conference. The Charlotte Hornets are in as a 3 ½ point favorite for this one, with the point total set at 222 ½.
Clippers vs Hornets NBA Betting Lines & Pick for Tuesday Night
📊 19 PTS | 5 REB | 3 AST | 2 BLK | 1 STL📼 Highlights from @shaiglalex‘s homecoming performance. pic.twitter.com/6xoyZgtoNE— LA Clippers (@LAClippers) 5 de febrero de 2019
- When: Tuesday, February 5 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Spectrum Center, Charlotte
- TV: TNT
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Betting Lines: Charlotte Hornets -3 (Total 224)
Why bet on the LA Clippers?
If the Clippers were a part of the Eastern Conference, their .537 win percentage would actually have them ahead of the Hornets and in the #6 slot, but the harsh reality is that they are in the West and barely above water in the playoffs. The Clippers have been doing little to help their own cause, though, going just 5-5 in their last 10 games, a run that has them maintaining their #8 seed by just a half game over the Sacramento Kings.
The Clippers have picked up back to back wins over Charlotte, including one earlier this season, and their 14-13 SU road record suggests that they could make it 3 in a row. LA has underwhelmed against the spread as the underdog, going 10-15, which includes being 8-9 ATS as a road dog this season.
- Total Score: 113.98
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.96
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.95
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.02
- Total Rebounds: 45.31
- Total Score: 113.59
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.42
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.11
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.27
- Total Rebounds: 46.09
Why bet on the Charlotte Hornets?
There is a bit of a gap starting to open up between the top 5 teams in the East and the rest of the chasing pack. While the Hornets are just a half game back of the Brooklyn Nets for the #6 spot, they are currently 7 ½ games back of the Pacers in the #5 seed, suggesting that they are unlikely to move up much higher than where they are now.
For the Hornets, it’s all about staying above the playoff line the rest of the way, with the good news there being that they have a 3-game cushion in that regard. The Hornets have been a solid SU home bet this season, going 19-8 in their own building. They are 15-11-1 ATS at home this season and 12-10-1 as a home favorite.
- Total Score: 111.50
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.27
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.80
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.78
- Total Rebounds: 44.44
- Total Score: 111.17
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.58
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.77
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.37
- Total Rebounds: 45.48
Clippers vs Hornets NBA Betting Trends
- LA is 8-3 ATS in its last 11 games on the road
- LA is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 13 of LA Clippers’s last 18 games
- Charlotte is 6-2-1 ATS in its last 9 games at home
- Charlotte is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Charlotte’s last 10 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Clippers vs Hornets
The Hornets have lost 2 of their last 3 meetings with the Clippers, with both losses coming on the road. Charlotte is a much better team when playing in their own building, which is why I like them to win and cover on Tuesday night.
Score: LA Clippers 111 – Charlotte Hornets 115