It doesn’t matter what sport you are talking about, winning consistently on the road is one of the toughest things that any team can do. There are a few teams who excel when playing away from home, but the reality is that the teams who make the playoffs are usually the ones who turn their own building into a fortress. Look at the playoff standings in the NBA right and you will see that all but one of the 16 teams currently occupying a playoff spot has a winning record at home. Trust me, that is not a fluke or some sort of statistical aberration, it is proof that home court advantage means something.
Right now, there is no team with a better home record than the Miami Heat, but they will have themselves a tough test in their own building on Friday night when the LA Clippers roll into town. These are two very good teams, so we should expect to see an entertaining game of basketball. Despite their home dominance, the Miami Heat are in as a 2 ½ point underdog. The point total for this one is set at 221 ½.
Clippers vs Heat 2020 NBA Week 14 Betting Lines & Pick
- When: Friday, January 24 at 8 PM EST
- Where: American Airlines Arena, Miami
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Betting Lines: Miami Heat +2.5 (Total 221.5)
Why bet on the LA Clippers?The LA Clippers went in big in the free agent market in the offseason, leading many to believe that they might have a shot at winning the Western Conference this season. They are currently sitting in 3rd in the West right now, sitting 5 games back of their city rivals, the LA Lakers. Still, they have been as advertised, going 31-14 on the season to put themselves in the conversation with the best teams that the NBA has to offer this year.
While the Clippers have been dominant at home, they have not really carried that play on the road, going 12-10 in away games this season. They are on a good run of form right now, though, winning 7 of their last 10 games overall, although they are just 3-6 ATS in their last 9.
- Total Score: 115.58
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.22
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.56
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.07
- Total Rebounds: 48.18
- Total Score: 109.38
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.69
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.25
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.16
- Total Rebounds: 45.67
Why bet on the Miami Heat?As we mentioned earlier in this piece, the Miami Heat have been nothing short of brilliant when playing in their own building this season. They have just a single loss on home court and are currently sitting at an unbelievable 20-1.
The unfortunate thing here, though, is that they have not been anywhere near that good on the road, sitting a game below .500 at 11-12 in road games this season. It is because of that road record that they are in the #2 spot in the East, 7 ½ games off the pace being set by the Milwaukee Bucks.
The Heat are coming into this one on a modest 2-game winning streak that has taken them to 6-4 in their last 10. In home games, the Heat are 14-6-1 ATS.
- Total Score: 112.07
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.24
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.94
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.51
- Total Rebounds: 45.32
- Total Score: 108.36
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.49
- Three-Point Percentage: 32.63
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.13
- Total Rebounds: 41.73
Clippers vs Heat NBA Week 14 Betting Trends
- Heat are 9-0 SU in their last 9 games at home
- Heat are 6-13 ATS in their last 19 games played on a Friday
- The total has gone OVER in 15 of Miami’s last 20 games this season
- Clippers are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Eastern conference
- Clippers are 3-6 ATS in their last 9 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of LA Clippers’ last 6 games on the road
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Clippers vs HeatWhile the Clippers are a very good team, I am a little surprised to see them in as a favorite in Miami. I certainly think that this one will be close, but I think Miami edges it, covering the spread in the process.
Score: LA Clippers 113 – Miami Heat 115