Unlike other professional sports, NBA teams do not have a large squad of players to draw upon when injuries start to become an issue. It is not unusual to see a team suddenly start to take a nosedive when the injury bug hits hard. That is what is happening right now, as the Los Angeles Lakers have dropped all the way down to the #8 spot in the Western Conference without LeBron James in the line-up. This was actually the game where James was expected to return to the line-up, but news coming out earlier this week’s suggests that it may be another month before he is able to return to the hard court. The Lakers are showing some signs of life this week, though, winning back to back games to keep themselves above the playoff line.
This is a tougher proposition for the Lakers, though, as they need to hit the road to face a Utah Jazz team that is sitting right below the Lakers, 2 games off the pace. The Jazz comes in as 8-point favorites for this one, with the point total set at 216.
Lakers vs Jazz NBA Week 13 Odds, Preview & Expert Pick
- When: Friday, January 11 at 10 PM EST
- Where: Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Week 13 Odds: Utah Jazz -8 (Total 216.5)
Why bet on the LA Lakers?
The Lakers are fighting hard to stay above the playoff line, winning back to back games to get to 2-5 since losing LeBron James to injury. That has been enough to keep the Lakers 4 games above .500 on the season at 23-19, but this is a team that has struggled on the road, going 9-11 away from home. The Lakers won the earlier meeting with the Jazz this season, taking that one 90-83 on home court and with James in the line-up.
Prior to his arrival, though, this was a match-up that was dominated by Utah, taking 7 in a row in previous meetings. The Lakers have been a so-so bet as the road underdog this season, going 5-4 ATS. 11 of the 20 games that the Lakers have played away from home this season have gone UNDER the point total.
- Total Score: 112.19
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.44
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.08
- Free Throw Percentage: 68.63
- Total Rebounds: 46.74
- Total Score: 110.81
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.59
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.43
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.20
- Total Rebounds: 46.76
Why bet on the Utah Jazz?
The Jazz are coming off a win that took them to .500 on the season, with their win/loss record now at 21-21. Whole home court is always a solid advantage, it has not really been that way for the Jazz this season, as they are just 9-8 this season in their own building.
Where things have really gone poorly for the Jazz this season has been in games against teams with a winning record, in which they have gone 11-16. In conference games, the Jazz have also maintained a .500 record, going 12-12 in those match-ups. Utah have not been totally convincing as a home favorite this season, going 8-7 ATS in those games. That said, they have covered in 3 of their last 4 games. The O/U for the Jazz in home games is 9-8.
- Total Score: 107.81
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.39
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.59
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.60
- Total Rebounds: 44.21
- Total Score: 105.55
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.99
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.62
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.33
- Total Rebounds: 42.50
Lakers vs Jazz NBA Week 13 Betting Trends
- LA is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games when playing Utah
- LA is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games when playing Utah
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Lakers’s last 6 games when playing Utah
- Utah is 7-2 ATS in its last 9 games at home
- Utah is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Utah’s last 8 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Lakers vs Jazz
It has been a nice little run of form for the Lakers with those back to back wins, but I think that all comes to an end on Friday night. I like the Utah Jazz to win and cover the spread here.
Score: LA Lakers 102 – Utah Jazz 115