We are beyond the halfway point of the NBA season now, which should serve as a bit of an early warning call for the teams who are currently sitting below the playoff line. Some of those teams are a lost cause, but there are a few who are still close enough to the line to make a run at a postseason place in the second half of the season. While there is a gap beginning to open up between the playoff teams and those below the line in the Eastern Conference, things are a little more forgiving in the West.
That said, it will only remain that way if the teams currently outside the top 8 can start to turn things around now. The Portland Trail Blazers are very much in a poor position right now, although they are still in touch with the top 8 teams in the West, at least for now. They will be on the road on Thursday night to face a Dallas Mavericks team that is sitting quite comfortably in the middle of the playoff pack. These two have split the season series thus far, but who will edge ahead? Dallas are in as a 4 ½ point road favorite, with the point total set at 229.
Mavericks vs Blazers 2020 NBA Week 14 Betting Lines & Preview
- When: Thursday, January 23 at 10:30 PM EST
- Where: Moda Center, Portland
- TV: TNT
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Week 14 Betting Lines: Dallas Mavericks -4.5 (Total 229)
Why bet on the Dallas Mavericks?After a few seasons in the wilderness, the Dallas Mavericks are sure to be pleased with their showing in the first half of the season. They are currently sitting at 27-16 on the season, which has them down in the #5 spot in the Western Conference, 7 ½ games back of the Lakers at the top. Realistically, the Mavericks are simply looking to hold on to the division lead and move up into one of the top 4 spots, which would give them home court advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.
As it stands right now, they are just 2 ½ games back of the Nuggets at #4, so moving up is definitely a possibility. Dallas have been good on the road, going 14-5. Over the last 10 games, they have posted a 6-4 record, while also going 6-1 ATS in their last 7.
- Total Score: 116.44
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.23
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.20
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.12
- Total Rebounds: 47.63
- Total Score: 109.37
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.92
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.45
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.58
- Total Rebounds: 45.21
Why bet on the Portland Trail Blazers?The first half of the season has proven to be a bit of a disaster for Portland, as they are currently 6 games below .500 at 19-26. It is going to be a long road back for this team if they have hopes of reaching the postseason, and while they are just 2 games back of the #8 seed in the West, they are also just 5-5 in their last 10, which is not helping their cause at all.
The Trail Blazers have not really made the most of their time at home, going 10-10 in games played in their own building. One of their biggest issued, though, is that they have not been good against teams with winning records, going just 5-16 in those games.
- Total Score: 111.93
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.98
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.63
- Free Throw Percentage: 81.19
- Total Rebounds: 46.09
- Total Score: 114.13
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.49
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.25
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.38
- Total Rebounds: 48.44
Mavericks vs Blazers 2020 NBA Week 14 Betting Trends
- Blazers are 5-10 SU in their last 15 games
- Blazers are 0-6 ATS in their last 6 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Portland’s last 5 games played in January
- Mavericks are 10-3 SU in their last 13 games on the road
- Mavericks are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games when playing on the road against Portland
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Dallas’ last 6 games against an opponent in the Northwest division
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Mavericks vs BlazersThese teams have split their season series, but if we look at how they are going right now, it is the Dallas Mavericks who have the definite edge, especially with Portland going just 1-6 ATS in their last 7. I am on Dallas to win and cover.
Score: Dallas Mavericks 119 – Portland Trail Blazers 112