Every time a team makes a move to ship players out or bring in someone new, they take the risk of doing something that totally blows up in their face. A free agent signing that looks like a slam dunk and a move that will make the team better can end up going horribly wrong. Despite the risks, teams continue to dip into the free agent market in hopes of luring great players to their team so that they can take the next big step towards an NBA Championship crown. Only one team can win that crown, though, so it goes without saying that not all of those moves are going to play out in the way that a team hoped.
That is certainly how things are looking in Houston right now, as the Rockets appear to have taken a bit of a backward step despite going all out to land Russell Westbrook in the offseason. They are struggling to play consistent ball and will try to break out of a mediocre run of form when they head to Minnesota on Friday night to face the Timberwolves. The Rockets are favored by 5 1/2, with the point total set at 234 ½.
Rockets vs Timberwolves 2020 NBA Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- When: Friday, January 24 at 8 PM EST
- Where: Target Center, Minneapolis
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Houston Rockets -5.5 (Total 234.5)
Why bet on the Houston Rockets?It was always going to be interesting to see how Westbrook would fit in with a team that has James Harden as the definitive leader. While the move has not been a total disaster by any stretch of the imagination, the stats clearly show that this is still Harden’s team. He leads the league in points per game and 3-pointers made, so it is obvious that he is still the man in Houston.
The overall results, though, are not what the Rockets would like, as the Rockets are currently sitting as the #6 seed, 8 games back of the pace being set by the LA Lakers. Over the past 10 games, the Rockets have gone 5-5 to move to 27-16 on the season. They have played the Timberwolves twice already this season, winning both games by an average of 25 PPG.
- Total Score: 118.40
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.29
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.61
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.16
- Total Rebounds: 47.33
- Total Score: 113.98
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.56
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.59
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.58
- Total Rebounds: 46.42
Why bet on the Minnesota Timberwolves?The Minnesota Timberwolves are sliding down the Western Conference standings in rather dramatic fashion, as they have now lost 7 games in a row with zero sign of being able to turn things around. That run has taken them to 15-29 on the season and leaves them 5 ½ games back of the playoff line.
The worst part of that is that they have a handful of teams now sitting ahead of them in the race for the final playoff spot. As mentioned earlier, they were soundly beaten in both their earlier games against Houston this season, so it’s hard to see their losing streak ending here. During their brutal current run, the Timberwolves have gone 1-6 ATS.
- Total Score: 111.11
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.24
- Three-Point Percentage: 32.49
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.50
- Total Rebounds: 46.14
- Total Score: 114.61
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.25
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.50
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.02
- Total Rebounds: 48.32
Rockets vs Timberwolves 2020 NBA Betting Trends
- Timberwolves are 0-5 SU in their last 5 games this season
- Timberwolves are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Southwest division
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Minnesota’s last 7 games played in January
- Rockets are 12-6 SU in their last 18 games against an opponent in the Northwest division
- Rockets are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Houston’s last 5 games
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Rockets vs TimberwolvesThe Houston Rockets are 12-9 on the road this season and are up against a Minnesota team that has just 6 wins in their own building. Given the previous results between these two, I think we see the Rockets cover the spread quite handily.
Score: Houston Rockets 121 – Minnesota Timberwolves 105