Usually, by this stage of the NBA season, we see some serious separation by the teams at the top of the conference and the chasing pack. While that is certainly the case in the Eastern Conference, things are a whole lot different over in the West. There are just 7 ½ games separating first from eighth, and while the top 8 teams now will be the ones heading into the postseason, trying to figure out how the standings will look at the end of the regular season is proving to be impossible. It is so tight in there that just a couple of wins or losses in a row can see a team rise or fall a couple of spots.
The San Antonio Spurs have been hot of late and are very much on the rise, but they will be going head to head with another team on a good run, as they will be in Houston to face the Houston Rockets on Friday night. There are 3 games separating these two teams right now, so San Antonio really needs a win to tighten that gap and get a little closer to the top 4. Houston is in as a 6 ½ point favorite, with the point total set at 220.
Spurs vs Rockets NBA Betting Lines & Pick for Friday Night
- When: Friday, March 22 at 8 PM EST
- Where: Toyota Center, Houston
- TV: NBATV
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Betting Lines: Houston Rockets -6.5 (Total 20)
Why bet on the San Antonio Spurs?
The San Antonio Spurs have been pinballing all around the standings in the Western Conference, but they are currently on a run of form that has seen them maintain an upward trajectory. They lost their last game out but had won 9 straight games prior to that, taking their season record to 42-30. They are now sitting in the #6 spot in the West, 2 ½ games out of the top 4, but also perilously close to the #8 seed.
Did we mention that the West in incredibly tight? The big problem for the Spurs right now is that they have been poor on the road, going 13-22. They have lost 2 of 3 to the Rockets this season and are on a run where they have lost 3 in a row in Houston. The Spurs are 10-12 ATS as a road dog.
- Total Score: 111.81
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.81
- Three-Point Percentage: 39.87
- Free Throw Percentage: 82.16
- Total Rebounds: 44.50
- Total Score: 110.32
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.43
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.33
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.40
- Total Rebounds: 44.07
Why bet on the Houston Rockets?
Given their awful start to the season, the Houston Rockets are probably quite satisfied with their current #3 standing. They too are coming off a loss in their last game, but as the Spurs, Houston has been hot of late, going 8-2 in their last 10 games. This is a team that has been, as always, very good in their own building, putting together a 26-10 record at the Toyota Center.
The Rockets have covered the spread in 6 of their last 10 games and are 16-15-1 as a home favorite. In their last 5 games versus San Antonio on home court, the Houston Rockets have gone 4-1 SU and ATS.
- Total Score: 113.15
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.75
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.06
- Free Throw Percentage: 78.91
- Total Rebounds: 41.44
- Total Score: 110.06
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.06
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.15
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.14
- Total Rebounds: 45.10
Spurs vs Rockets NBA Betting Trends
- San Antonio is 3-7 ATS in its last 10 games on the road
- San Antonio is 3-7 SU in its last 10 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of San Antonio’s last 13 games on the road
- Houston is 5-2 ATS in its last 7 games when playing San Antonio
- Houston is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Houston’s last 5 games at home
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction for Spurs vs Rockets
Both of these teams are in a rich vein of form at the moment, which is why I think the point spread is a little bit on the large side. I am taking the Houston Rockets to win this one, but I like the Spurs to cover.
Score: San Antonio Spurs 108 – Houston Rockets 113