We are down to the final sixteen teams in March Madness, which means that the stakes for the remaining teams are greater than ever. This is the stage of the tournament when nerves can really start to get in the way and where a single mistake can often be the difference between winning and losing. We have already taken a look at some SU picks for the Sweet 16, as well as some ATS selections, which means that it’s now time to turn our attention to the point total.
This tends to be the toughest of the lot, as you very often get teams with differing styles going head to head. Will defense reign supreme or will the offensively gifted teams find a way to continue putting up big numbers. Let’s jump right in and make 3 March Madness betting picks that we like in the O/U for the Sweet 16.
2019 March Madness Sweet 16 Over/Under Betting Picks
Florida State Seminoles vs Gonzaga Bulldogs (OVER 146 ½)
After making a habit of getting involved in lower scoring games towards the end of the regular season, the Florida State Seminoles have changed the script a little. They have now seen 3 of their last 4 games go OVER, which includes both games played thus far in the tournament.
This certainly goes against what they have done overall this season, where they went 16-18-2 O/U. The Bulldogs are 1-1 O/U in the opening two rounds of March Madness, but it should be noted here that in the opening round, they were just one basket away from taking that thing OVER. This one is going to be close, but I think the point total creeps just OVER the 146 ½.
Purdue Boilermakers vs Tennessee Volunteers (OVER 146 ½)
It takes two teams to decide if the point total falls over or under, but it is often just one team that dictates the direction of said total. If that is indeed the case, then we really need to look at what Tennessee has been doing of late.
The Volunteers are on a run of 6 straight games where the total has gone OVER, with no less than 4 of those 6 games having the exact same point total as what is posted for this one. The Purdue Boilermakers are not that far off the point total pace being set by Tennessee, as they have seen 4 of their last 6 games also go the way of the OVER. I think we are looking at another one where we see a lot of points being scored.
LSU Tigers vs Michigan State Spartans (UNDER 148 ½)
While both of these teams have been putting up points through the opening rounds of the tournament, it is still the Michigan State defense that is the key to their success. They have the ability to shut teams down in a big way and could pose some serious issues for LSU, a team that routinely struggles against very good defensive teams.
Neither of these two is known for their 3-point shooting, so with much of the action here set to take place inside the paint, scoring could be at a premium. In their last 7 games where the point total was set at 149, the Tigers went over once and the Spartans just twice. The UNDER looks to be the bet here.
March Madness Expert Betting News
College Basketball Odds | March Madness Betting
- Sports to Bet This Weekend Saturday March 27th Edition
- Early 2020 College Basketball Championship Odds – April 9th
- Texas Tech vs Virginia 2019 Men’s College Basketball National Championship Odds / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Preview
- March Madness 2019 Printable NCAA Bracket
- Michigan State 2019 March Madness Final Four Betting Preview
- Virginia 2019 March Madness Final Four Betting Analysis
- Auburn 2019 March Madness Final Four Betting Preview
- Texas Tech 2019 March Madness Final Four Betting Analysis
- 7 Things to Know Before Betting on the 2019 March Madness Final Four
- Updated 2019 College Basketball Championship Odds – April 2nd
- Texas Tech vs Michigan State March Madness Lines / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Pick
- Auburn vs Virginia March Madness Odds / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Preview
- Michigan State vs Duke March Madness Odds / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Preview
- Auburn vs Kentucky March Madness Odds / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Preview
- Houston vs Kentucky March Madness Odds / Live Stream / TV Channel, Date / Time & Preview