While the non-conference schedule in the NCAAB season delivered a fair number of surprise results, we came out of it with a pretty decent idea of which teams might be the ones to watch heading into conference play. It has been tough to be a top-ranked team this season, as getting to the top usually means that a loss will soon follow. Things have settled down a little bit now, though, and with the dust settled, we can see that the Virginia Cavaliers are going to be one of those teams to watch as we get into the heart of conference play, just as the College Basketball betting odds for their next match indicates.
Tuesday night will see the Cavaliers welcome in the Syracuse Orange for an ACC match-up that looks as though it could be something of a mismatch. The Cavaliers are on a good run of form and have only dropped one game this season, while the Orange are having a tough time navigating the waters of the ACC Conference in the early going. This looks like a comfortable one for Virginia, but let’s remember that surprises have been common this season.
Orange vs. Cavaliers College Basketball Betting Analysis & Prediction
— Virginia Basketball (@UVAMensHoops) 8 de enero de 2018
- When: Tuesday, January 9 at 8 PM EST
- Where: John Paul Jones Arena, Charlottesville
- TV: ACC Network
- Radio: 810 AM (Syracuse) / 1440 AM (Virginia)
- College Basketball Betting Odds: Virginia Cavaliers -9.5 (Over/Under at 113.5)
- All: Syracuse Orange 12-4 / Virginia Cavaliers 14-1
- Home: Syracuse Orange 11-2 / Virginia Cavaliers 10-0
- Away: Syracuse Orange 1-2 / Virginia Cavaliers 4-1
- As Favorite: Syracuse Orange 10-2 / Virginia Cavaliers 11-0
- As Underdog: Syracuse Orange 0-2 / Virginia Cavaliers 0-1
- ATS: Syracuse Orange 6-8 / Virginia Cavaliers 9-3
- Over/Under: Syracuse Orange 5-9 / Virginia Cavaliers 3-9
Recent Head to Head (Last 7 Games)
- Record: Syracuse Orange lead 4-3
- Score: Syracuse Orange 63.57 / Virginia Cavaliers 67.00
- Field Goal Percentage: Syracuse Orange 41.67 / Virginia Cavaliers 45.93
- Rebounds: Syracuse Orange 28.43 / Virginia Cavaliers 34.14
- 3 Point Shots: Syracuse Orange 47-141 / Virginia Cavaliers 57-142
- Steals: Syracuse Orange 8.14 / Virginia Cavaliers 6.29
Why bet on the Syracuse Orange?
Syracuse saw their season get off to a strong start with a 6-game winning streak, but they ran into a wall in their first game against a ranked opponent, which ended with a 76-60 loss to Kentucky. It has been their recent form that has been the most troubling, though, as they have lost 3 of their last 5 games, with 2 of those losses coming against conference foes that they might have been expected to beat.
The one thing that Syracuse cannot get sucked into in this one is an offensive battle, as this is a team that is managing just 70 PPG this season. The Orange are a defensively solid unit, and their 62.2 PPG allowed has them in the top 20 in that particular defensive category. If they can frustrate the Cavaliers on the defensive end, they might be able to keep this thing close for an extended period of time.
- Total Score: 70.00
- Field Goal Percentage: 42.86
- Three-Point Percentage: 31.49
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.73
- Total Rebounds: 40.12
- Total Score: 62.19
- Field Goal Percentage: 38.08
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.16
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.46
- Total Rebounds: 32.31
Why bet on the Virginia Cavaliers?
The Virginia Cavaliers are ranked #3 in the nation, sporting a 14-1 record through their first 14 games. Their lone loss of the season came at the hands of the West Virginia Mountaineers, a team that is now ranked #2 overall, which should give you an idea of just how good this basketball team has been this season.
You can argue that they have only played two ranked teams so far, but if their 61-49 win over UNC in their last game is anything to go by, this is a team that is gathering some steam as they head into the heart of conference play. The Cavaliers have now played 3 games in the ACC, coming away with a perfect record in those starts.
They are another team that does not score a lot, averaging 70.9 PPG, but breaking them down on the defensive side of the court is proving to be tough, as they are first in the nation with a 52.5 PPG against average.
- Total Score: 70.87
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.64
- Three-Point Percentage: 39.73
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.88
- Total Rebounds: 33.80
- Total Score: 52.47
- Field Goal Percentage: 35.87
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.28
- Free Throw Percentage: 71.78
- Total Rebounds: 31.20
Latest College Basketball Betting Trends
- Syracuse is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
- Syracuse is 12-4 SU in its last 16 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Syracuse’s last 5 games
- Virginia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Virginia’s last 5 games when playing Syracuse
Expert College Basketball Betting Pick & Score Prediction
I expect this one to be on the low-scoring end of the scale, as neither team is really known for their offensive output. It should be a rather comfortable win for the Cavaliers in the end.
Score: Syracuse Orange 58 – Virginia Cavaliers 67