This has been one of the strangers NCAAB seasons in recent memory, as we have now reached a point where there is not one single team out there with a totally unblemished record. This makes for a very exciting season for the neutral fan, but it does also make things a little tougher for those of us who love to get involved with the College Basketball betting action. The Virginia Cavaliers are currently sitting in the top 10 in the national rankings, but have a bit of a tricky one ahead of them on Wednesday night when they go up against their big rivals, the Virginia Tech Hokies.
This is a great way to really get conference play started, with both teams heading into just their second game in ACC play. The Hokies come into this one unranked, but they are not that far off the pace, and a win here might well help them get into the top 25. The bookies have this down as being potentially close, with the Cavaliers in as a 3 ½ point favorite. The point total for this one has been set at 134.
Cavaliers vs. Hokies College Basketball Betting Preview & Pick
— Virginia Basketball (@UVAMensHoops) 2 de enero de 2018
- When: Wednesday, January 3 at 9 PM EST
- Where: Cassell Coliseum, Blacksburg
- TV: ACC Network
- Radio: 94.3 FM (Virginia) / 107.5 FM (Virginia Tech)
- Live Stream: ACCN Live
- College Basketball Betting Odds: Virginia Cavaliers -3.5 (Over/Under at 134 points)
- All: Virginia Cavaliers 12-1 / Virginia Tech Hokies 11-3
- Home: Virginia Cavaliers 9-0 / Virginia Tech Hokies 9-0
- Away: Virginia Cavaliers 3-1 / Virginia Tech Hokies 2-3
- As Favorite: Virginia Cavaliers 9-0 / Virginia Tech Hokies 7-1
- As Underdog: Virginia Cavaliers 0-1 / Virginia Tech Hokies 0-2
- ATS: Virginia Cavaliers 7-3 / Virginia Tech Hokies 7-3
- Over/Under: Virginia Cavaliers 3-7 / Virginia Tech Hokies 6-3
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Virginia Cavaliers lead 8-2
- Score: Virginia Cavaliers 67.20 / Virginia Tech Hokies 56.20
- Field Goal Percentage: Virginia Cavaliers 44.92 / Virginia Tech Hokies 40.34
- Rebounds: Virginia Cavaliers 32.00 / Virginia Tech Hokies 28.60
- 3 Point Shots: Virginia Cavaliers 71-185 / Virginia Tech Hokies 60-190
- Steals: Virginia Cavaliers 5.00 / Virginia Tech Hokies 3.90
Why consider the Cavaliers College Basketball Betting Odds?
The Cavaliers come into this one with a 12-1 record on the season but came very close to taking their second loss in their opening conference game of the year against the Boston College Eagles. Virginia escaped that one by the skin of their teeth, winning 59-58, and extending their win streak to 4 games. The lone loss of the season for Virginia was by no means an awful one, as it came at the hands of a ranked West Virginia Mountaineers squad.
The Cavaliers are way down the rankings on the offensive side of the court, averaging just 71 PPG, but this is a team that appears to be built to shut down the opposition. The Cavs are surrendering less than 53 PPG, which is good enough to put them number one in the nation in PPG average. Virginia is a very solid 8-2 ATS in 10 games this season.
- Total Score: 66.06
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.02
- Three-Point Percentage: 38.54
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.89
- Total Rebounds: 32.91
- Total Score: 56.35
- Field Goal Percentage: 39.78
- Three-Point Percentage: 31.71
- Free Throw Percentage: 69.95
- Total Rebounds: 30.03
Why consider the Hokies College Basketball Betting Odds?
The Virginia Tech Hokies are not in the best of form right now, losing 2 of their last 4 games, including their opening game in ACC Conference play against Syracuse. Their other recent loss came at the hands of Duke, who were ranked #8 at the time, which is not what anyone would describe as a bad defeat, especially since they were able to keep it close throughout. If they lose this one, though, they will be setting a trend that might show them as not being able to hang with ranked opponents.
The Hokies have a big-scoring offense, averaging close to 89 PPG, which is good enough to put them in the top 10 in scoring. They are not quite so tight on the defensive side of the court, though, and are surrendering 70 PPG. Virginia Tech has also been a good bet, going 7-3 ATS.
- Total Score: 79.09
- Field Goal Percentage: 48.92
- Three-Point Percentage: 40.28
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.68
- Total Rebounds: 32.30
- Total Score: 74.70
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.46
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.26
- Free Throw Percentage: 71.66
- Total Rebounds: 34.73
Latest College Basketball Betting Trends
- Virginia is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Virginia Tech
- Virginia is 12-1 SU in its last 13 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Virginia’s last 5 games on the road
- Virginia Tech is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Virginia
- Virginia Tech is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Virginia Tech’s last 6 games when playing at home against Virginia
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
This has all the makings of a very close game, but it’s one that I think the Cavaliers can pull out on the road. I do not see them covering, but I do like the point total to go OVER.
Score: Virginia Cavaliers 71 – Virginia Tech Hokies 70