Which team will be sitting in the #1 seed once the college basketball regular season is done? It seems like a simple enough question, but it’s one that is becoming increasingly more difficult to answer as the season progresses. Just when we think we have a handle on who the best team in the country is at any given time, that team then goes out and loses a game that we expected them to win. That has been the trend that we have been seeing all season long, and you have to think that things are about to get a little more complicated now that we are heading into the portion of the season where conference play comes to the forefront.
We see a lot of teams start the season well, only to fall part once they start playing teams from their conference. Likewise, other schools come to life once they get into the heart of conference plat. We will see one of the top teams in the nation get into ACC action when the Duke Blue Devils hit the road to face the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Duke is in as a 12-point favorite, with the point total for this one set at 139 ½.
Duke vs Georgia Tech 2020 College Basketball Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- When: Wednesday, January 8 at 9 PM EST
- Where: McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta
- TV: ACCN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: WatchACC
- College Basketball Odds: Duke -12 (Total 139.5)
Why bet on the Duke Blue Devils?We mentioned earlier about the top teams seeming to find a way to lose games that they should win this season, with the Duke Blue Devils certainly in that conversation. There is simply no way to excuse their 85-83 loss to Stephen F. Austin earlier this season, a game that the Blue Devils started as a 28-point favorite.
What you do have to be impressed with, though, is how they have responded to that loss, bouncing back and reeling off 7 straight wins ahead of this game. They have been winning comfortably, too, covering the spread in 5 of their last 6 games. This is a matchup that Duke has dominated, winning each of the last 10 meetings with Georgia Tech and covering the spread in 7 of those 10 games.
- Total Score: 84.14
- Field Goal Percentage: 48.39
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.25
- Free Throw Percentage: 69.83
- Total Rebounds: 41.79
- Total Score: 62.43
- Field Goal Percentage: 41.05
- Three-Point Percentage: 29.15
- Free Throw Percentage: 61.50
- Total Rebounds: 31.29
Why bet on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets?While the Duke Blue Devils have jumped out to a perfect 3-0 start in conference play, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have struggled, going 2-2 SU in the ACC. That outcome is probably not that surprising when you look at what they Yellow Jackets have done overall this season, going 7-7 SU through their first 14 games.
You might well expect things to get even worse for Tech, as they have just 5 wins in their last 17 games versus conference opponents. As we have already seen, they have been dominated by Duke in recent seasons, so there really isn’t much to like here. If there is a positive, it’s that Georgia Tech is 8-4 ATS in their last 12 January games and 4-1 ATS in their last 5 played on a Wednesday night.
- Total Score: 67.57
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.51
- Three-Point Percentage: 28.63
- Free Throw Percentage: 64.26
- Total Rebounds: 35.36
- Total Score: 68.00
- Field Goal Percentage: 39.57
- Three-Point Percentage: 31.23
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.80
- Total Rebounds: 36.50
Duke vs Georgia Tech 2020 College Basketball Betting Trends
- Blue Devils are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games on the road
- Blue Devils are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games this season
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Duke’s last 8 games played on a Wednesday
- Yellow Jackets are 5-12 SU in their last 17 games against an opponent in the Atlantic Coast conference
- Yellow Jackets are 8-4 ATS in their last 12 games played in January
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Georgia Tech’s last 11 games this season
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Duke vs Georgia TechThe shocking loss to Stephen F. Austin seems to have lit a fire under the Duke Blue Devils, as they have been a very good bet since then. I’m looking at more of the same here, as I like them to win and cover the spread.
Score: Duke Blue Devils 80 – Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 64