While the goal of every team in college basketball is simply to do well enough to get into the tournament, there are other achievements that are on the list. One of those that is sure to be at the top is winning the regular season conference title, which is always a nice little addition to the season resume.
Given the ways things have gone this season, we are looking at several great conference battles going on at the moment, with perhaps none as tight as what we are currently seeing in the Big Ten. There are no less than six team sitting on either 7 or 8 wins, so it’s still anyone’s conference to win at this stage.
The Iowa Hawkeyes are in that group of teams and will be looking to stay there, or perhaps climb a little higher, when they hot the road to face the Purdue Boilermakers on Wednesday night. They do not have a great record when playing there, though, which is why the Boilermakers are in as a 4 point favorite for this NCAAB betting, with the point total set at 136.
How to Bet Iowa vs Purdue NCAA Basketball Odds & TV Info.
- When: Wednesday, February 5 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Mackey Arena, West Lafayette
- NCAAB Odds: Purdue -4 / Total 136
Why bet on the Iowa Hawkeyes?
The Hawkeyes might well have been sitting pretty at the top of the Big Ten had it not been for a loss to Maryland, the team currently on top, last week. That loss means that the Hawkeyes are now 7-4 in conference play and still very much in striking distance of the leaders.
The reality, though, is that they really cannot afford to take another loss against conference opposition, which is not good news when you consider that they are just 6-14 SU and ATS in their last 20 games against the Boilermakers.
They are also just 1-9 SU in their last 10 visits there and 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games played in the month of February. There is not a lot to like there, but that does not mean that I’m not looking at them as a legitimate bet here.
- Total Score: 78.86
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.05
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.45
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.09
- Total Rebounds: 38.68
- Total Score: 70.18
- Field Goal Percentage: 42.33
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.71
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.50
- Total Rebounds: 34.55
Why bet on the Purdue Boilermakers?
The Purdue Boilermakers come into this one with a 12-10 record on the season, with their Big Ten Conference play being a big part of the reason why their overall record is not much better.
The Boilermakers are just 5-6 versus conference foes, and while that is certainly disappointing, you do have to like what they have been able to deliver when playing in their own building.
We already mentioned that they have won 9 of their last 10 home games against Iowa, but they are also 18-2 SU in their last 20 home games. Where things have not been so great is against the spread, with Purdue going 1-4 ATS in their last 5 and 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games versus Big Ten opposition.
- Total Score: 67.18
- Field Goal Percentage: 41.56
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.33
- Free Throw Percentage: 66.47
- Total Rebounds: 37.14
- Total Score: 60.36
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.65
- Three-Point Percentage: 28.66
- Free Throw Percentage: 69.43
- Total Rebounds: 32.64
Iowa vs Purdue NCAAB Betting Trends
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Iowa’s last 13 games.
- Iowa are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games.
- Iowa are 6-14 SU in their last 20 games against Purdue.
- Purdue are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games.
- Purdue are 18-2 SU in their last 20 games at home.
- Purdue are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games when playing at home against Iowa.
Iowa vs Purdue Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
Despite all the trends that show Purdue to be a great home bet, I am very tempted to play the underdog in this one. Rather than going SU, I am going to go the safer route and take the Iowa Hawkeyes to cover the spread.
Prediction: Iowa Hawkeyes 68 Purdue Boilermakers 67