Okay MyBookie online betting faithful, college hoops fans everywhere are expecting a thriller when a pair of top-10 ranked national championship title favorites meet on Tuesday night in the second half of the 2020 Champions Classic. This year’s matchups feature No. 6 Kansas vs. No. 10 Kentucky and No. 13 Michigan State at No. 9 Duke.
While Kansas is ranked sixth in the national poll and Kentucky is a few spots behind at 10th, Kentucky will be desperate to bounce back from stunning loss on Saturday while Kansas looks to distance itself from its own-season opening loss. With both .500 ballclubs going all-out for the win in their first meeting since January of 2019, let’s find out which team is offering the best value against the College Basketball odds in this intriguing matchup.
NCAAB Betting Preview – No. 10 Kentucky at Kansas Odds and Picks
No. 10 Kentucky (1-1) Vs No. 6 Kansas (1-1)
- When: Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2020 at 9:30 PM ET
- Where: Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
- TV: ESPN
- NCAAB Odds: TBD
Champions Classic records, history
The Champions Classic is in its 10th season after beginning in 2011. Here is each team’s record in the event through the first nine years:
- Duke: 6-3
- Kentucky: 5-4
- Kansas: 4-5
- Michigan State: 3-6
Why Bet On No. 10 Kentucky
After beating Morehead 81-45 in their opener, 10th-ranked Kentucky will almost assuredly be more focused in this contest than they were in Saturday’s stunning 76-64 upset loss against the Richmond Spiders on Saturday. Up four at the half, Kentucky got overwhelmed in the second half by getting outscored 48-32.
Freshman shooting guard B.J. Boston Jr. had 20 points while senior forward Olivier Sarr added 17 points for Kentucky and the Wildcats outrebounded Richmond 54-31. However, Kentucky also committed 21 turnovers band shot an ice-cold 36 percent from the field in the loss.
“It’s a lesson for all of us,” Sarr said. “It’s just the second game of the year. We’ve got to pick our heads up, because we got a whole lot of games coming. … Just learn from our mistakes and move on.”
The Wildcats also didn’t record an assist in the second half and of the six Wildcats that played at least 10 minutes, five were freshman. Kentucky started four freshmen along with senior transfer Olivier Sarr. The Wildcats are averaging a modest 72.5 points per game so far this season while allowing 60.5 points per contest defensively.
- Kentucky are 9-3 ATS in their last 12 games.
- Kentucky are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games.
- Kentucky are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against an opponent in the Big 12 conference.
- Kentucky are 13-4 SU in their last 17 games played in December.
- The Over is 5-1 in Kentucky’s last 6 games when playing as the underdog.
Why Bet On No. 6 Kansas
Senior guard Marcus Garrett led Kansas with 22 points awhile junior guard Ochai Agbaji added 17 points, but the Jayhawks allowed three Gonzaga players to top the 20-point plateau as Drew Timme scored 25 points, Jalen Suggs added 24 and Corey Kispert chipped in 23. The Jayhawks are putting up a stellar 92.0 points per contest through two games while allowing 87.0 points per contest defensively.
“I thought we played a great team,” head coach Bill Self said afterward. “They have four guards who I think will be the best guards we’ll play all year.”
- Kansas are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games.
- Kansas are 17-1 SU in their last 18 games.
- Kansas are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games against an SEC opponent.
- Kansas are 14-2 SU in their last 16 games played in December.
- The Under is 6- in Kansas’ last 7 games against Kentucky.
Expert Analysis and Prediction
I’ll get right to the point by saying Kansas is the pick to win and get it done in this matchup, although Kentucky has the superior athletes. The big difference between these two ballclubs right now is experience. Kentucky is uber-talented with a handful of likely one-and-done five-star recruits that could be off to the NBA after this season. Kansas, however, is a bit more mature and plays a better brand of team basketball at this early juncture of the season.
While Kentucky has gone Wildcats 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games overall and 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games against a team with a winning percentage below .400. Kansas has gone 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games against a team with a winning record, 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games overall and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 neutral site games. While Kentucky is 2-1 against Kansas in this annual series, it is Kansas that has gone 4-1 in the last five meetings outside this series, though Kentucky, although the series is 4-4 overall dating back to 2007.
Pick: Kansas 76 Kentucky 71
College Basketball Betting News
- College Basketball News & Rumors: Transfer Portal Rule Change, Coaches Sign Ups & More
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NCAAB Update – April 5th Edition
- #1 Baylor vs. #1 Gonzaga national championship game | 2021 NCAA Basketball Expert Analysis
- #2 Houston vs. #1 Baylor NCAA Tournament Final Four | 2021 NCAA Basketball Expert Analysis
- 2021 College Basketball Championship Odds Update Mar. 30th