The fourth-ranked and College Basketball lines favorite Michigan State Spartans will look to bounce back from an ugly loss last weekend when they host the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in a Big Ten Conference battle on Wednesday. While getting the outright win doesn’t look like it will be very difficult for the home team in this one, let’s find out if Michigan State is the right pick to cover the NCAAB spread at whopping 20.5 points.
Scarlet Knights vs. Spartans College Basketball Lines & Game Preview
Bringing it on both ends of the floor.
— Spartan Basketball (@MSU_Basketball) 9 de enero de 2018
- When: Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 7:00 PM ET
- Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing, Michigan
- TV: Big Ten Network
- Radio: 97.3 FM (Rutgers) / 107.1 (Michigan State)
- Live Stream: BTN2Go
- College Basketball Lines: Michigan State -20.5 (Over/Under at )
- All: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 11-6 / Michigan State Spartans 15-2
- Home: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 11-4 / Michigan State Spartans 12-0
- Away: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 0-2 / Michigan State Spartans 3-2
- As Favorite: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 3-0 / Michigan State Spartans 15-2
- As Underdog: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 2-4 / Michigan State Spartans 0-0
- ATS: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 6-3 / Michigan State Spartans 11-6
- Over/Under: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 3-6 / Michigan State Spartans 9-7
Recent Head to Head (Last 5 Games)
- Record: Michigan State Spartans lead 5-0
- Score: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 59.20 / Michigan State Spartans 83.80
- Field Goal Percentage: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 35.57 / Michigan State Spartans 48.56
- Rebounds: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 31.60 / Michigan State Spartans 45.60
- 3 Point Shots: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 21-69 / Michigan State Spartans 60-126
- Steals: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 5.40 / Michigan State Spartans 6.00
Why Consider Betting On Rutgers at +20.5?
Why should you consider betting on the Scarlet Knights in this contest? Because they already gave the Spartans a tough way to go once this season and clearly, Michigan State has some concerns to address.
Rutgers is coming off a solid 64-60 win over Wisconsin on Friday that snapped a three-game skid. Junior guard Corey Sanders scored a team-high 23 points to lead the way to Rutgers’ first conference victory of the season. Rutgers forced 14 turnovers in the win while committing just six.
“I just thought we had relentless effort,” Rutgers coach Steve Pikiell said. “Everyone came into the game and gave us some great stuff. We were able to move them side to side. We made some timely plays down the stretch and every guy up here made a big rebound and made a big jump shot. So it was a great team win. Everyone that checked into the game was locked in and ready to play.”
Rutgers also gave Michigan State a tough way to go when they met on Dec. 5. The Scarlet Knights held the Spartans to its season-low point total in a 62-52 loss that day.
“We’re a program in progress that’s plugging away,” Pikiell said. “We have good things going on. We had seven guys with 3.0’s and four guys on Dean’s list. We’re building a new practice facility. This program is going to be good and they have to stay the course.
Why Consider Betting On Michigan State at -20.5?
Why bet on the Spartans in this contest? Because they’re going to be very focused and are one of the most explosive teams in the nation.
Michigan State got smacked around in their stunning 80-64 road loss to Ohio State on Sunday to snap their 14-game winning streak, but the Spartans still rank first in field-goal percentage (52.5) and assists (21.8 per game) and 16th in scoring offense (86.5 points).
“It’s not something that I’m worried about at all because we played in 17 games,” Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said. “I’d say we played 15 of them pretty well, pretty solid in what we wanted to get done. Did not think we played great at Rutgers and we did not play great (Sunday).”
Tom Izzo’s squad has a pair of sure-fire NBA performers, but they also have excellent offensive balance, with five double-figure scorers. Michigan State’s losses have come on a neutral court (against Duke) and on the road. The Spartans have not been beaten at home this season, which is why they dominate the College Basketball lines for this one.
“This is the way it’s like in the Big Ten,” Izzo said. “The worst team you play in the Big Ten is a much tougher game than some of the better teams you play in the non-conference (season). It’s just because of the facilities and crowds and everything else.”
Latest College Basketball Betting Trends
- Rutgers is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Rutgers is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games on the road
- Michigan State is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games
- Michigan State is 14-1 SU in its last 15 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Michigan State’s last 7 games
Expert Final Analysis and Prediction
While a whopping 73 percent of public bettors like the Spartans to back their College Basketball lines to win and cover the chalk in this contest – I don’t!
Sure, the Spartans are the superior team and they’re playing at home, but Rutgers is feisty and I believe they’ll be able to keep the final score inside 20 points.
The Scarlet Knights are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight-up win and an identical 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall. Conversely, Michigan State is just 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games against a team with a winning straight up record.
Rutgers is third nationally in offensive rebounding (14.8) and sixth in overall rebounding (42.6) and I believe the Scarlet Knights will have just enough in them to cover the huge spread!
Pick: Michigan State 78 – Rutgers 66