With the arrival of the weekend, we are now just 2 months away from selection Sunday in college basketball. The rankings that we see now may look a whole lot different when that date finally arrives, especially now that we are right into the thick of the conference match-ups. This is the stage of the season where things very often become dog eat dog, with top contenders falling to lesser conference rivals. It’s also an opportunity for teams outside the top 25 to break into the rankings with some wins over ranked opponents.
That is the scenario we are looking at on Friday night, with the #19 ranked Maryland Terrapins hitting the road for a Big Ten match-up with the Ohio State Buckeyes, a team that is starting to slide after making a less than impressive start to conference play. These two teams are actually not that far apart in terms of overall win/loss record, so this is by no means an easy outing for the ranked Terrapins. Maryland is, in fact, a 3.5-point underdog for this one, with the point total set at 139 ½.
Maryland vs Ohio State NCAA Basketball Spread & Expert Pick
- When: Friday, January 18 at 6:30 PM EST
- Where: Value City Arena, Columbus
- TV: FS1
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- NCAA Basketball Spread: Ohio State Buckeyes -3.5 (Total 140.5)
Why bet on the Maryland Terrapins?
The Maryland Terrapins are 15-3 on the season and are on a fine streak of form ahead of this one, coming in with a 6-game win streak under their belts, as well as being winners of 8 of their last 10 games. They are sitting a game off the pace being set by the Michigan State Spartans and the Michigan Wolverines, both of whom remain unbeaten in the Big Ten, posting a 6-1 record in the 7 conference games they have played thus far.
The Terrapins have played 4 road games this season, going 3-1 in those outings and covering the spread in both away games that they started as the underdog. Overall, they are 4-0 ATS in all the games that they have played away from home this season. They are 4-1 SU and ATS in their last 5 meetings with Ohio State.
- Total Score: 76.78
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.32
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.79
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.40
- Total Rebounds: 40.17
- Total Score: 65.78
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.85
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.83
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.45
- Total Rebounds: 29.06
Why bet on the Ohio State Buckeyes?
Conference play has not been kind to the Buckeyes, who are 2-3 SU against their Big Ten rivals. To make matters even worse, they are coming into this one on a 3-game losing skid, although 2 of those games were on the road, with the home loss coming at the hands of the unbeaten Spartans.
That loss was the first time that the Buckeyes had faced a ranked opponent this season, a game where they never came close to covering as a 1 ½ point underdog. The Buckeyes have now failed to cover the spread in each of their last 4 games and are just 3-7 ATS in their last 10. As a home favorite this season, the Buckeyes are a lackluster 3-6 ATS, so not a lot to like here.
- Total Score: 75.88
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.42
- Three-Point Percentage: 36.47
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.22
- Total Rebounds: 36.06
- Total Score: 64.19
- Field Goal Percentage: 39.68
- Three-Point Percentage: 29.37
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.84
- Total Rebounds: 33.00
Maryland vs Ohio State NCAA Basketball Betting Trends
- Maryland is 8-3 ATS in its last 11 games
- Maryland is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Maryland’s last 8 games
- Ohio State is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Ohio State is 21-4 SU in its last 25 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Ohio State’s last 5 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Maryland vs Ohio State
I am a little surprised that the Buckeyes are in as the favorite here given their current form, but I think that gives us a chance to make some money. I am on the Terrapins to win this one SU, which obviously means that they also cover the spread.
Score: Maryland Terrapins 72 – Ohio State Buckeyes 67