If you think that the rankings in college basketball have changed a lot already this season, just wait. We are now heading into the portion of the season when conference games will dominate the nightly schedule. There are, of course, some conferences that are stronger than others, which means that we might see a little bit of dog eat dog activity going on in some, allowing the better teams in the weaker conferences to perhaps start climbing up the rankings.
Right now, the Big Ten looks to be one of the toughest conferences out there, as there are currently no less than 7 teams sitting on double-digit wins on the season, although the race for dominance in the conference is currently being won by Michigan State, who have won all 5 of their conference games. Maryland are still in the hunt for the top spot and will look to keep their challenge alive when they head to Iowa to face the Hawkeyes on Friday night. Maryland are in as a modest 1 ½ point road favorite in what should be a tricky game. The point total for this one is set at 145 ½.
Maryland vs Iowa 2020 College Basketball Spread & Expert Pick
- When: Friday, January 10 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City
- TV: FS1
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- College Basketball Spread: Maryland -1.5 (Total 145.5)
Why bet on the Maryland Terrapins?The Maryland Terrapins saw their ranking take a bit of a hit with recent back to back losses, but they have recovered from that slip to win 3 in a row ahead of this one. That run has taken Maryland to 12-3 on the season and has them in the #12 ranking. The downside is that one of their losses came against a conference opponent, leaving them at 3-1 on the season in Big Ten play.
While this is certainly a tricky game for the Terrapins, they do have history on their side in this matchup, going 4-1 SU and ATS in their last 5 meetings with Iowa. On the downside, though, they are just 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games on the road this season. They do seem to enjoy Friday night games, though, going 9-1 SU in their last 10.
- Total Score: 74.80
- Field Goal Percentage: 41.88
- Three-Point Percentage: 31.43
- Free Throw Percentage: 73.13
- Total Rebounds: 42.13
- Total Score: 61.33
- Field Goal Percentage: 37.25
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.90
- Free Throw Percentage: 65.71
- Total Rebounds: 33.93
Why bet on the Iowa Hawkeyes?The Iowa Hawkeyes are finding life in conference play to be a little rough this season, as they come into this one having dropped back to back games versus Big Ten opponents. That has them now sitting near the bottom of the conference with a 1-3 record in Big Ten play, while their overall season record now sits at 10-5.
All of that would be enough to scare you away from wagering on the Hawkeyes, but it has not all been bad news for bettors, as Iowa has gone 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games. They are also winners of each of their last 5 games at home, so it might not be the best idea to totally write them off ahead of this one. The UNDER has hit in 5 of Iowa’s last 6 games this season.
- Total Score: 80.40
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.74
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.38
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.98
- Total Rebounds: 38.93
- Total Score: 70.73
- Field Goal Percentage: 42.64
- Three-Point Percentage: 31.25
- Free Throw Percentage: 74.15
- Total Rebounds: 34.80
Maryland vs Iowa 2020 College Basketball Betting Trends
- Terrapins are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games played on a Friday
- Terrapins are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Maryland’s last 7 games played in January
- Hawkeyes are 2-8 SU in their last 10 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference
- Hawkeyes are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Iowa’s last 6 games
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Maryland vs IowaBoth of the losses that Maryland have taken this season have come on the road, so this is by no means a slam dunk for the favorites. At the end of the day, though, I think they get the job done against Iowa on Friday night.
Score: Maryland Terrapins 64 – Iowa Hawkeyes 60