It is still too early to start making serious predictions about what might go down when March Madness rolls around. This is because we are still in the very early days of conference play in college basketball. If past history has shown us anything, it’s that fortunes can change quite dramatically over the course of a couple of months, which means the rankings that we see now may look entirely different once selection Sunday arrives.
You need only look at how these two teams have performed in Big Ten play to see how conference action can have an impact on the overall rankings. The Michigan State Spartans are leading the way in the conference after going unbeaten thus far, while the Iowa Hawkeyes have seen their previously unblemished season become a little tarnished after taking 3 losses against Big Ten opposition. Can the Spartans continue on unscathed in the conference or will the Hawkeyes move a little closer to the top? Michigan State is in as a 6-point road favorite, with the point total set at 157.
Michigan State vs Iowa NCAA Basketball Lines & Analysis
- When: Thursday, January 24 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa
- TV: FS1
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- NCAA Basketball Lines: Michigan State Spartans -6 (Total 156)
Why bet on the Michigan State Spartans?
As we mentioned earlier, the Spartans are sitting atop the Big Ten Conference with a perfect 8-0 record, but their overall positive run of form has lasted a little longer. Michigan State is coming into this one on a 12-game win streak, a run that has seen them take down more than their fair share of ranked opponents. They have beaten 3 ranked teams during that run, with the average margin of victory coming in at 14 PPG.
The Spartans are currently sitting in the #6 spot, but winning here would give them back to back wins over ranked opposition, which may well mean that they climb a little higher when the next rankings are released. The Spartans are 15-3 ATS as the favorite this season, which includes being 5-1 ATS as the road favorite.
- Total Score: 83.84
- Field Goal Percentage: 49.91
- Three-Point Percentage: 38.35
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.64
- Total Rebounds: 43.53
- Total Score: 66.05
- Field Goal Percentage: 36.55
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.47
- Free Throw Percentage: 66.85
- Total Rebounds: 32.42
Why bet on the Iowa Hawkeyes?
The Iowa Hawkeyes are a perfect 11-0 when playing games outside their conference, but they are just 5-3 against Big Ten opposition. They are, though, on a 5-game winning streak that includes a pair of wins over ranked opponents. They jumped 4 spots from #23 to #19 when the current rankings were released earlier this week, and it probably goes without saying that they will move up even higher if they can take advantage of home court advantage against the Michigan State Spartans.
The Hawkeyes have not been entirely convincing against the spread when playing at home, going just 5-7, although they are 2-1 ATS as a home underdog and 5-3 ATS overall as the underdog this season. They are on a run, though, that has seen them cover the spread in each of their last 5 games, 3 of which they started as the underdog.
- Total Score: 82.79
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.88
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.33
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.67
- Total Rebounds: 36.63
- Total Score: 72.16
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.36
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.74
- Free Throw Percentage: 68.09
- Total Rebounds: 33.16
Michigan State vs Iowa NCAA Basketball Betting Trends
- Michigan State is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
- Michigan State is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Michigan State’s last 7 games
- Iowa is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Iowa is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Iowa’s last 7 games at home
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Michigan State vs Iowa
The Spartans have been the epitome of consistency over their last 10 games, winning them all SU and covering the spread in 9 of those 10 outings. I think they win and cover once again to extend their win streak to a lucky 13 games.
Score: Michigan State Spartans 80 – Iowa Hawkeyes 73