In the world of college sports, I think it is fair to say that you don’t really get the true measure of a team until they get into the thick of the conference schedule. It’s often easy to go out and treat non-conference foes and perceived lesser lights like a punching bag, but how a team reacts when they go up against rivals in conference play is usually a better indicator of where they really stand.
There are some conferences that are stronger than others, and with the Big Ten currently having no less than 5 teams in the top 25, you have to say that this is a conference that is among the most competitive in college basketball at the moment. Conference play is where the Ohio State Buckeyes season has gone a little off the rails, as they have been poor against Big Ten opposition to this point. They will try to stop the bleeding when they host the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Thursday night. It is Ohio State who will be an 8-point favorite over Minnesota. The point total for this one has been set at 134.
Minnesota vs Ohio State 2020 College Basketball Odds & Analysis
- When: Thursday, January 23 at 6:30 PM EST
- Where: Value City Arena, Columbus
- TV: FS1
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- College Basketball Odds: Ohio State Buckeyes -8 (Total 134)
Why bet on the Minnesota Golden Gophers?At 10-8 on the season, the Minnesota Golden Gophers have been a tough team to pin down in terms of consistency. That also holds true when looking at them in conference play, where they have gone 4-4 through their first 8 games. One area where they have been consistent, albeit not in a good way, is how they have performed against the Ohio State Buckeyes.
Minnesota is just 3-13 SU in their last 16 meetings with Ohio State, as well as being 2-7 ATS in their last 9 against them. Another knock on the Golden Gophers is that they are winless in their last 7 on the road. It’s not all bad from a betting standpoint, though, as they are 10-5 ATS in their last 15 games overall.
- Total Score: 72.72
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.32
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.11
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.44
- Total Rebounds: 39.56
- Total Score: 66.67
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.97
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.53
- Free Throw Percentage: 70.37
- Total Rebounds: 35.00
Why bet on the Ohio State Buckeyes?It has been a pretty brutal run of form for Ohio State of late, as they have now dropped to just 2-5 SU in Big Ten play, which has seen their overall record fall to 12-6. They are still certainly sure to be in the tournament conversation, but that can all change of they don’t find a way to pull out of the slump that has seen them lose 4 of their last 5 games. On a positive note, this is a team that is always very tough to beat at home winning 10 of their last 11 on home court.
While they have covered in each of their last 5 home games against Minnesota, they have failed to cover the spread in their last 5 games overall this season. One stat that jumps out in this matchup is that 6 of the last 8 meetings have gone OVER the point total.
- Total Score: 73.94
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.66
- Three-Point Percentage: 38.50
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.21
- Total Rebounds: 38.50
- Total Score: 61.56
- Field Goal Percentage: 37.82
- Three-Point Percentage: 32.63
- Free Throw Percentage: 65.82
- Total Rebounds: 32.17
Minnesota vs Ohio State 2020 College Basketball Betting Trends
- Golden Gophers are 0-7 SU in their last 7 games on the road
- Golden Gophers are 6-3 ATS in their last 9 games played in January
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Minnesota’s last 7 games against an opponent in the Big Ten conference
- Buckeyes are 10-1 SU in their last 11 games at home
- Buckeyes are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games this season
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Ohio State’s last 14 games played on a Thursday
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Minnesota vs Ohio StateThe Buckeyes look like a team lacking in confidence at the moment, which is why I am leaning towards the Golden Gophers to cover the spread. I also really like the OVER in this one.
Score: Minnesota Golden Gophers 68 – Ohio State Buckeyes 74