The 18th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes will look to take care of business at home against the visiting Purdue Boilermakers when they host their Big ten rivals on Tuesday night. With Iowa looking to get as high a seeding as possible in the upcoming March Madness national championship tournament and the Boilermakers looking to get off the bubble and into the tournament, let’s find out which team is offering the best value against their College Basketball Odds for the Purdue vs Iowa.
Purdue vs Iowa 2020 College Basketball Game Preview & Betting Odds
- When: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 9:00 PM ET
- Where: Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City, IA
- TV: Big Ten
- NCAAB Odds: Iowa -5 / Total: 142.5
Why Bet On Purdue
Purdue snapped a four-game skid by getting past Indiana 57-49 on Friday to cover the chalk as 6.5-point home underdogs. The Boilermakers held the Hoosiers to 25.4 percent shooting to get their first win since Feb. 8. Trevion Williams scored a game-high 19 points and added eight rebounds to help the Boilermakers beat Indiana for the seventh straight time in the rivalry. Now, with their postseason hopes on the line, Purdue is completely desperate heading into this matchup.
“We’ve got to win a road game, we’ve got to win a home game and go to the Big Ten Tournament and win some games,” Purdue coach Matt Painter told reporters. “We’re so fortunate to have this opportunity when we keep on playing people that are going to the NCAA Tournament.”
The Boilermakers average 67.9 points per game (272nd) while limiting the opposition to 62.2 points per game defensively (16th). Purdue has gone a discouraging 3-8 on the road this season.
- Total Score: 67.9
- Field Goal %: 42.25
- Three Point %: 33.6
- Free Throw %: 67.2
- Total Rebounds: 36.41
- Total Score: 62.17
- Field Goal %: 40.67
- Three Point %: 30.15
- Free Throw %: 71.05
- Total Rebounds: 32.41
Purdue Boilermakers Betting Trends
- Boilermakers are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games after allowing less than 50 points in their previous game.
- Boilermakers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
- Boilermakers are 1-3-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Boilermakers are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games following a straight up win.
- Boilermakers are 2-8-2 ATS in their last 12 games as an underdog.
- Boilermakers are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games following a ATS win.
Why Bet On Iowa
The Hawkeyes have won three of their last four including a 77-68 win over Penn State on Sunday to cover the spread as a 4.5-point home favorite. Now, Iowa will look to extract some revenge for their embarrassing 36-point loss against Purdue on Feb. 5. Luka Garza had a stupendous game with 25 points, 17 rebounds and four blocked shots while setting a new program record for the most consecutive conference games with 20 or more points
“Every game is going to be a war and I don’t expect anything different in the Big Ten tournament,” Iowa forward Ryan Kriener told reporters. “The double bye is definitely huge especially if there’s a second-day upset and you play a team that has tired legs.”
Iowa averages 78.1 points per game to rank 24th nationally in scoring while allowing 71.9 points per game defensively (248th). The Hawkeyes have gone an impressive 14-1 at home this season.
- Total Score: 78.14
- Field Goal %: 45.17
- Three Point %: 34.71
- Free Throw %: 74.09
- Total Rebounds: 37.86
- Total Score: 71.93
- Field Goal %: 43.01
- Three Point %: 32.25
- Free Throw %: 72.22
- Total Rebounds: 35.07
Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Trends
- Hawkeyes are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games vs. a team with a winning straight up record.
- Hawkeyes are 9-1-2 ATS in their last 12 home games vs. a team with a losing road record.
- Hawkeyes are 12-2-2 ATS in their last 16 games as a home favorite.
- Hawkeyes are 13-3-2 ATS in their last 18 games as a favorite.
- Hawkeyes are 8-2-2 ATS in their last 12 games following a ATS win.
- Hawkeyes are 7-3-3 ATS in their last 13 games following a straight up win.
Purdue vs Iowa Expert Analysis and Prediction
Since their huge win over the Hawkeyes, Purdue has gone an uninspiring 2-4 in six games while Iowa has gone a polar opposite 4-2 over the same span. The Favorite and home team in this rivalry has gone 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
Home team is 5-1 ATS in the last 6 meetings.
With the Boilermakers going just 1-5-2 ATS in their last 8 road games and 1-6-2 ATS in their last 9 games as a road underdog, I say keep it simple by backing the Hawkeyes to improve on their stellar 18-7-2 ATS mark in their last 27 home games while also going 20-8-3 ATS in their last 31 games overall. Iowa wins and covers the spread.
Pick: Iowa 78 Purdue 71