Making it through the college basketball regular season without losing a game is tough at the best of times, but it is proving to be close to impossible for the top teams in the country this season. Take a look at the top 25 as it stands right now and you will see just how difficult it has proven to be, with all the preseason favorites sitting on at least one loss. There are in fact just 2 teams who have made it to this stage of the season without taking a loss, but as you can probably tell from their rankings, the feeling is that they have yet to take on some of the better teams in the country.
The San Diego State Aztecs are unbeaten in the #7 slot, while the unbeaten Auburn Tigers are currently in as the #5 team in the country. Auburn will be looking to continue with their winning season on Wednesday night when they host the Vanderbilt Commodores. This is a matchup that the Tigers have struggled with in recent years, but they are a strong favorite this time around, coming in as a 14 ½ point favorite. The point total for this one has been set at 152 ½.
Vanderbilt vs Auburn 2020 College Basketball Odds & Expert Analysis
- When: Wednesday, January 8 at 9 PM EST
- Where: Auburn Arena, Auburn
- TV: SEC Network
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: SEC Live
- College Basketball Odds: Auburn -14.5 (Total 152.5)
Why bet on the Vanderbilt Commodores?The Vanderbilt Commodores have fallen off the pace a little in the last few weeks, losing 3 of their last 5 games to fall to 8-5 on the season. With that in mind, it would be easy to simply write the Commodores off and chalk this one up as a win for Auburn, but this matchup has actually been lopsided in the favor of Vanderbilt over the past few years. In fact, Vandy comes into this one having won 13 of their last 15 meetings with Auburn.
Furthermore, they are 10-2 ATS in their last 12 visits to Auburn, although it should be noted that they are currently on a streak where they have lost 12 straight road games overall. They are also 0-10 SU in the last 10 games played in the month of January.
- Total Score: 79.23
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.93
- Three-Point Percentage: 38.32
- Free Throw Percentage: 66.89
- Total Rebounds: 34.77
- Total Score: 72.62
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.91
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.01
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.31
- Total Rebounds: 34.15
Why bet on the Auburn Tigers?You can argue that the Auburn Tigers schedule has not been the most challenging, but you can only play the teams that come your way, and to this point, the Tigers are a perfect 13-0 SU. That has them in as the #5 seed in the nation, while also seeing them as one of only two unbeaten teams in Division I college basketball.
The trends against Vanderbilt suggest that their run might be coming to an end, but this is a very different Auburn team to the one that took all those losses against the Commodores. Auburn are on a 7-1 SU run versus teams from the SEC, and they started off their conference campaign with an 80-68 win over Mississippi State in their last outing.
- Total Score: 82.00
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.30
- Three-Point Percentage: 32.16
- Free Throw Percentage: 65.66
- Total Rebounds: 42.23
- Total Score: 65.77
- Field Goal Percentage: 39.65
- Three-Point Percentage: 28.68
- Free Throw Percentage: 69.15
- Total Rebounds: 35.54
Vanderbilt vs Auburn 2020 College Basketball Betting Trends
- Commodores are 0-10 SU in their last 10 games played in January
- Commodores are 9-2 ATS in their last 11 games against Auburn
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Vanderbilt’s last 6 games this season
- Tigers are 13-0 SU in their last 13 games this season
- Tigers are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games against an opponent in the Southeastern conference
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Auburn’s last 7 games played in January
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Vanderbilt vs AuburnThe best bet here is to ignore all those previous losses that Auburn has had at the hands of Vanderbilt and look at what is going on this season. I am all over Auburn to win here, although I am not so sure that they cover the spread.
Score: Vanderbilt Commodores 69 – Auburn Tigers 78