Right now, the Big East is the most intriguing conference in the NCAAB betting polls. Last year, it was one of the strongest and deepest in the nation, sending six squads to the NCAA Tournament, behind only the Big Ten and the Big 12. Thanks to a few star performers coming back and some blue-chip recruits on the way in, the Big East is ready for another exciting season. So what are the key things to think about as we ponder the Big East this year?
Villanova has an underrated offense for online betting experts. They scored 120 points per 100 possessions last season according to KenPom.com, ranking them #4 in the nation. They were efficient, running a version of the motion offense that showed a ton of pick and rolls to open up three point shooting opportunities. Villanova ranked #11 last year in three point shots attempted, and they had a six-guard rotation, all of whom could shoot at least 35% from downtown. This year, four of those guards will return, and he adds stellar recruit Jalen Brunson to his backcourt. Brunson has elite court vision and passing acumen, and his shooting skill will make him a perfect fit in the Villanova system. Should Brunson meet the expectations, the Wildcats will maintain their level of efficiency on offense and win the Big East once again.
Don’t overlook Butler, though, who only permitted 90.4 points per 100 possessions, leaving them #7 in the rankings for efficient defense this past season. Their display in the NCAA Tournament showed how effective their signature defensive emphasis was, as they were able to bottle up what was an outstanding Notre Dame offense for much of their game in the third round. Butler did lose Alex Barlow and Kameron Woods, the team’s defensive stalwarts, to graduation. Even so, Butler will bring back the top three scorers from a year ago, including sharpshooter Kellen Dunham and experienced old man Roosevelt Jones. Will Butler try to turn itself into an offensively minded team since its best players seem to have strength in that area?
Providence guard Kris Dunn was a turnover machine last year, giving the ball away 138 times last year, the most in the nation and an average of more than four turnovers per game. Dunn is one of the conference’s best players and is likely to be one of the nation’s best players too. Like many guards who are young, though, he struggles when it comes to taking care of the ball. Now that LaDontae Henton has graduated, Dunn will get a lot more touches this season, so it’s time for him to manage the ball more effectively and find ways to distribute. One bonus to the problem is that all it takes is disciplined film study, solid coaching and extra practice to get rid of the hands problem. Dunn is a huge talent – so much so that it’s easy to teach him the rudiments of ball protection and lower his turnovers.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- Top NCAA Basketball Betting Picks of the Week – November 13th
- FSU vs. Michigan 2018 March Madness Lines for Elite 8
- 2018 Elite 8: Loyola-Chicago vs. Kansas State March Madness
- Expert 2018 March Madness Elite 8 Parlay Picks
- 2018 March Madness Elite 8 Prediction: Over/Under Total Picks
- Updated NCAA Basketball Championship Odds – March 21
- Purdue vs. Texas Tech 2018 March Madness Prediction
- 2018 Sweet 16 Pick & March Madness Lines: Duke vs. Syracuse
- Villanova vs. WVU March Madness Pick & Sweet 16 Prediction
- How to Bet Kansas vs. Clemson March Madness Sweet 16 Info
- 2018 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 Over/Under Picks
- 2018 March Madness Sweet 16 Straight Up Betting Picks
- Expert ATS Picks for 2018 March Madness Sweet 16
- 2018 March Madness: Loyola-Chicago vs. Nevada
- Michigan vs. Texas A&M Game Info, NCAAB Odds & Pick
- 2018 March Madness Sweet 16 Underdogs Analysis
- Gonzaga vs. FSU 2018 March Madness Preview & Pick
- 2018 Sweet 16: Kentucky vs. Kansas State March Madness Odds
- Top NCAA Basketball Picks of the Week – March 19th
- Expert Parlay Picks for 2018 March Madness Sweet 16
- 2018 March Madness Betting Predictions: Sweet 16
- March Madness 2018 Printable NCAA Bracket
- Can Syracuse Upset TCU at the March Madness Odds?
- How to Bet Alabama vs. Villanova March Madness Game Preview
- Rhode Island vs. Duke Game Info & Basketball Pick