The top 4 teams and the college football playoffs aside, bowl games do not usually come with a lot of drama or controversy attached. Win 6 games and you usually are automatically eligible, after which you get to head to a game that is often seen as a fun little reward for schools and fans alike. This bowl game season is a little different in that it has delivered a little controversy. The Florida State Seminoles had a truly disappointing season, but getting to 6 wins seemed to have secured them a spot as the 2017 Independence Bowl spread favorites.
The problem here was that one of those wins came against a Delaware State team that has not handed out enough scholarships to be deemed as a team that can be counted as a win towards eligibility. This little oversight was seemingly missed by everyone, which is why the Seminoles are heading to a bowl game that some folks believe they don’t deserve to be in.
Southern Miss is probably pleased to be going against such a big name school, but come in as 16.5-point underdogs. The point total for this one is set at 49.
Southern Miss vs. Florida State 2017 Independence Bowl Spread & Game Info
Sight and sounds from practice No. 1 in Shreveport. https://t.co/OB049p9e3O
— FSU Football (@FSUFootball) 25 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Wednesday, December 27 at 1:30 PM EST
- Where: Independence Bowl, Shreveport
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 104.5 FM (Southern Miss) / 101.9 FM (Florida State)
- Live Stream: Watch ESPN
- Independence Bowl Spread: Florida State Seminoles -16.5 (Over/Under at 49)
- Overcast: 4°C/39°F
- Humidity: 57%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 93%
- Wind: 11 mph NE
- Stadium Type: Open
- Score: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 14.00 / Florida State Seminoles 54.00
- Rush Yards: Southern Miss Golden Eagles -13.00 / Florida State Seminoles 169.00
- Pass Attempts: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 29.00 / Florida State Seminoles 35.00
- Completion Percentage: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 41.38 / Florida State Seminoles 60.00
- Passing Yards: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 108.00 / Florida State Seminoles 379.00
- Total Yards: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 95.00 / Florida State Seminoles 548.00
- Turnovers: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 1.00 / Florida State Seminoles 3.00
Why bet on the Southern Miss Golden Eagles?
There are sure to be a lot of college football fans out there who know very little about the Southern Miss Golden Eagles, but that doesn’t mean they should be totally dismissed. They finished the season with an impressive 8-4 record, and 3 of their 4 losses came against teams that will be playing during bowl season. The other loss was on the road to the Tennessee Volunteers, which can certainly not be labeled a bad one.
The Golden Eagles finished the season strong, winning 3 straight games and scoring a total of 137 points in those 3 outings. Southern Miss can also play some defense, landing in the top 40 in the nation with a 23 PPG against average. They may be able to frustrate a Seminoles offense that might just not be up for this game. The Golden Eagles are 6-2 SU in their last 8 and are 10-4 ATS in their last 14.
- Average Score For: 30.50
- Total Yards: 438.33
- Rush Yards: 189.00
- Passing Yards: 249.33
- Average Score Against: 23.00
- Total Yards: 321.92
- Rush Yards: 132.17
- Passing Yards: 189.75
Why bet on the Florida State Seminoles?
This was a season that the Florida State Seminoles will want to forget, as it started off bad and just steadily declined. Let’s not forget that this is a team that a lot of people were pegging as potential National Champions, and while the loss to Alabama in Week 1, it was the loss of QB Deandre Francois that hurt the most in that one. Their season was then disrupted by a hurricane, and they never seemed to be able to get back on track when they started back after a layoff.
It all ended with coach Jimbo Fisher leaving for the Texas A&M job. New head coach, Willie Taggart, is now in business and will get a chance to get a good look at the team he inherited here. The Seminoles finished the season strong, winning 4 of their last 5 and scoring close to 40 PPG during that run. Florida State went just 3-8-1 ATS this season.
- Average Score For: 26.67
- Total Yards: 343.58
- Rush Yards: 150.83
- Passing Yards: 192.75
- Average Score Against: 21.92
- Total Yards: 337.00
- Rush Yards: 136.00
- Passing Yards: 201.00
Latest Independence Bowl Betting Trends
- Southern Miss is 10-4 ATS in its last 14 games
- Southern Miss is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Southern Miss’s last 6 games
- Florida State is 3-8-1 ATS in its last 12 games
- Florida State is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
I have a sneaking suspicion that this thing is going to be a whole lot closer than many people think. I like Florida State to win, but I do not believe they will cover the Independence Bowl spread. Let’s also play the OVER on this one.
Score: Southern Miss Golden Eagles 23 – Florida State Seminoles 31