Appalachian State has fallen out of the new Top 25 after an upset loss last week as the Mountaineers go out of conference this Saturday with a trip to SEC foe South Carolina. The Gamecocks are favored in the Mybookie NCAAF odds.
How to Bet Appalachian State vs South Carolina College Football Week 11 Odds & Game Info
- When: Saturday, 7 PM ET
- Where: Williams-Brice Stadium
- TV: ESPN2
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- College Football Week 11 Spread: South Carolina -5 (Total 51)
Appalachian State vs South Carolina History
South Carolina leads the all-time series 8-1 and all were played at home for the Gamecocks. The schools haven’t met since a 35-9 USC win in 1988. App State’s lone victory was 39-34 in 1975. Saturday’s matchup is part of a three-game agreement that continues with the two teams playing a 2025 game in Boone and a 2027 game in Columbia.
Why Bet on Appalachian State?
App State fell from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 24-21 home upset loss to Georgia Southern on Halloween. Georgia Southern racked up 335 yards on the ground behind their triple-option offense to upset Appalachian State for the second straight season. The Eagles defense held the country’s ninth-highest scoring offense in check most of the rainy, windy night.
The result ended a 13-game, year-long winning streak as well as a 14-game home winning streak for App State, which had won its last 16 home games against Sun Belt competition since a midweek loss to Arkansas State in 2015.
App State receiver Corey Sutton’s touchdown catches with 8:22 and 4:47 remaining cut the deficit from 17 points to three, and the Mountaineers had possession twice in the final four minutes thanks to stops by their defense. A fourth-and-4 pass from midfield fell incomplete to end one series with 2:16 left, and App State got the ball back at its 16 with 1:10 remaining but no timeouts at its disposal. The game ended with a completion and multi-lateral effort near midfield.
Zac Thomas threw for a season-high 271 yards. It’s the third-highest total of his career, behind 295 yards at Charlotte and 282 yards against Georgia State last season. Thomas had a game with three touchdown passes and no interceptions for the second time this season (also Charlotte) and the fourth time in his career. Thomas attempted a career-high 51 passes and tied his career high of 25 completions. Sutton had two receiving touchdowns in a game for the first time this season after doing it three times last season. With 13 career touchdown catches, he’s now tied for ninth place in school history.
Against Power Five
App State faces a team from a Power Five conference for the second time this season, as the Mountaineers won 34-31 at North Carolina on Sept. 21. App State’s victory in Chapel Hill marked the program’s first Power Five win since the Mountaineers pulled off the historic 34-32 upset of Michigan in 2007. Since moving up to the FBS level in 2014, App State is 22-11 on the road, putting the Mountaineers in a tie for fifth place nationally for the most road wins in that span.
- Points per Game: 38.50
- Passing Yards: 204.88
- Rushing Yards: 237.13
- Yards per Play: 6.30
- Points per Game: 19.63
- Passing Yards: 165.13
- Rushing Yards: 164.50
- Yards per Play: 5.14
Why Bet on South Carolina?
If USC doesn’t win this game, it’s probably not going to a bowl because the Cocks end the season at Texas A&M and vs. Clemson. They probably not going to a bowl regardless but no chance winning both of those if they lose here.
South Carolina is off a 24-7 win vs. Vanderbilt last week. Bryan Edwards caught a school record 14 passes for a career best 139 yards to lead the Gamecocks (4-5, 3-4 Southeastern). The senior shouldered the offensive load for the Gamecocks after receiver Shi Smith tweaked his hamstring during the week and did not play. Edwards had his eighth-career 100-yard receiving game, tying Zola Davis (1995-98) and Deebo Samuel (2015-18) for fifth in school history.
Ryan Hilinski was 24-for-31 for 235 yards for the Gamecocks, including a 25-yard touchdown pass to Edwards midway through the fourth quarter that sealed the win. Hilinski currently leads the FBS in pass attempts without an interception at 167. The South Carolina school record is 177 held by Connor Shaw (2010-13).
Redshirt freshman Deshaun Fenwick tallied his first action of the season, going for 102 yards on 18 attempts for an average of 5.7 yards per carry. Fenwick became South Carolina’s fifth 100-yard rusher of the season, joining Mon Denson, Rico Dowdle, Tavien Feaster and Kevin Harris.
About the Defense
Defensively, the Gamecocks held Vandy to just 189 yards, 95 in the first quarter and just 94 over the final three periods. It was the fewest yards allowed by a Carolina defense since Florida logged 183 in the 2012 game.
The Gamecocks own a 16-1 all-time record against teams that currently comprise the Sun Belt Conference, with all 17 contests held in Columbia. Since the turn of the century, the Gamecocks have a 46-3 mark against teams not currently in a Power 5 conference. The only three losses in that stretch came to UConn in the 2010 Papajohns.com Bowl, to The Citadel in 2015 and to South Florida in the 2016 Birmingham Bowl. Carolina has won 31 of its last 34 home games against non-conference foes.
- Points per Game: 27.63
- Passing Yards: 223.38
- Rushing Yards: 182.00
- Yards per Play: 5.58
- Points per Game: 27.25
- Passing Yards: 263.13
- Rushing Yards: 144.50
- Yards per Play: 5.57
Appalachian State vs South Carolina College Football Week 11 Betting Trends
- Mountaineers are 7-1 SU in their last 8 games this season
- Mountaineers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games played on a Saturday
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Appalachian State’s last 6 games played in November
- Gamecocks are 11-0 SU in their last 11 games against an opponent in the Sun Belt conference
- Gamecocks are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games played in November
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of South Carolina’s last 6 games played on a Saturday
Expert Final Score Prediction for Appalachian State vs South Carolina
Appalachian State 27 – South Carolina 28
More Week 11 NCAAF Betting News
- Nevada vs San Diego State 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Prediction
- Clemson vs North Carolina State 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Pick
- Appalachian State vs South Carolina 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Pick
- Notre Dame vs Duke 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Prediction
- Iowa State vs Oklahoma 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Game Preview
- Missouri vs Georgia 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Game Preview
- LSU vs Alabama 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- Connecticut vs Cincinnati 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Prediction
- Wake Forest vs Virginia Tech 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Pick
- College Football Picks Week Eleven (Ep. 749)
- Kansas State vs Texas 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Expert Analysis
- East Carolina vs SMU 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds, Preview & Pick
- 2019 College Football Week 11 Over/Under Betting Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 11 ATS Betting Picks