The Appalachian State Mountaineers will undoubtedly have their hands full when they take on the 11-win and NCAAF odds favorite Toledo Rockets at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on Saturday, December 23rd. Now let’s find out if the Mountaineers have what it takes to either cover the chalk or defy the Dollar General Bowl Lines to get the outright upset win.
Mountaineers (8-4) vs. Rockets (11-2) 2017 Dollar General Bowl Lines & Pick
— Jason Candle (@CoachCandle) 19 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Saturday, December 23, 2017, 7:00 PM ET
- Where: Ladd Peebles Stadium
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 1320 AM (Appalachian State) / 106.7 FM (Toledo)
- Live Stream: Watch ESPN
- Dollar General Bowl Lines: Toledo Rockets -7.5 (Over/Under at 61.5)
- Chance of Rain: 18°C/64°F
- Humidity: 100%
- Precipitation: 51%
- Cloud Cover: 95%
- Wind: 4 mph SSW
- Stadium Type: Open
- All: Appalachian State Mountaineers 8-4 / Toledo Rockets 11-2
- Home: Appalachian State Mountaineers 5-1 / Toledo Rockets 7-0
- Away: Appalachian State Mountaineers 3-3 / Toledo Rockets 4-2
- ATS: Appalachian State Mountaineers 5-7 / Toledo Rockets 7-6
- Over/Under: Appalachian State Mountaineers 4-6-1 / Toledo Rockets 7-6
Last Matchup Stats
- Score: Appalachian State Mountaineers 31.00 / Toledo Rockets 28.00
- Rush Yards: Appalachian State Mountaineers 297.00 / Toledo Rockets 127.00
- Pass Attempts: Appalachian State Mountaineers 33.00 / Toledo Rockets 26.00
- Completion Percentage: Appalachian State Mountaineers 42.42 / Toledo Rockets 69.23
- Passing Yards: Appalachian State Mountaineers 119.00 / Toledo Rockets 247.00
- Total Yards: Appalachian State Mountaineers 416.00 / Toledo Rockets 374.00
- Turnovers: Appalachian State Mountaineers 0 / Toledo Rockets 0
Why Bet on the Appalachian State Mountaineers Odds at +7.5?
Why bet on the Mountaineers in this contest? Because they got hot at just the right time and beat Toledo in the Camellia Bowl just last season.
Appalachian State won their final three games of the season and come into the Dollar general Bowl off an emphatic 63-14 blowout win over Louisiana-Lafayette on Dec. 2 while covering the spread in the games as a 14-point favorite.
The Mountaineers won a share of the Sun Belt Title after finishing with a conference record of 7-1 and average a stellar 33.4 points per game (33rd) while allowing 21.9 points per game defensively (33rd). Quarterback Taylor Lamb passed for four touchdowns and ran for another to help secure the win.
For the season, Lamb completed 61.7 percent of his passes for 2,606 yards with 27 touchdowns and just six interceptions while running back Jalin Moore rushed for a team-high 912 yards.
- Average Score For: 33.42
- Total Yards: 438.15
- Rush Yards: 215.17
- Passing Yards: 223.33
- Average Score Against: 21.92
- Total Yards: 359.08
- Rush Yards: 147.25
- Passing Yards: 211.83
Why Bet on the Toledo Rockets Odds at -7.5?
Why bet on the Rockets in this contest? Well, because they’re the better team in all three phases.
Toledo also won their final three games of the year including their 45-28 blowout win over Akron in the MAC Championship game as a whopping 20.5-point favorite. Toledo quarterback Logan Woodside tossed four TD passes in the big win.
“I’ve got the best passer in the history of this school,” Toledo head coach Jason Candle said. “You have to trust your quarterback to go for it in that spot, and I have that faith in Logan.”
The Rockets average a stupendous 39.2 points per game this season (11th) while allowing 25.6 points per game defensively (56th). Woodside had a fantastic season to win the MAC Offensive Player of the Year by completing 64.9 percent of his attempts for 3,758 yards with 28 touchdowns and five interceptions. He’ll finish his career as the Rockets’ career leader in passing yards, touchdowns, attempts and 300-yard games. Running back Terry Swanson rushed for stellar 1,319 yards.
- Average Score For: 39.15
- Total Yards: 512.38
- Rush Yards: 220.46
- Passing Yards: 291.92
- Average Score Against: 25.62
- Total Yards: 379.23
- Rush Yards: 166.23
- Passing Yards: 213.00
Latest Dollar General Bowl Betting Trends
- Appalachian State is 17-5 SU in its last 22 games
- The total has gone OVER in three of Appalachian State’s last four games in December
- Toledo is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games
- Toledo is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games
Expert Analysis and Prediction
There’s a reason why the Toledo Rockets are an 8-point favorite in this contest and it’s because they’re far more explosive offense than Appalachian State and have the best player on either team in quarterback Logan Woodside and probably the second best player in running back Terry Swanson.
While Appalachian State has gone 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games following an ATS win and 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game, Toledo is a near-perfect 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games against teams from the Sun-Belt Conference and 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games overall. I like Toledo to back the Dollar General Bowl Lines and narrow ATS cover, although they’re going to have to work for it against an Appalachian State team that isn’t just going to quit!
Pick: Toledo Rockets -7.5