Last season in the SEC, we saw something of a shift in the balance of power. Sure, it was Alabama who went on to win the National Championship, but it’s easy to forget that Auburn won the West Division and Georgia were the SEC Champions. It is Georgia who is in as the favorites to win the East again, with many believing that they are the obvious class of the division. That may be true, but there are definite signs that the South Carolina Gamecocks might well be able to push them hard all the way. They took a big step forward last season and are ahead of schedule in terms of their rebuild, but still have some way to go to be on the same level as the Bulldogs.The Gamecocks will get their season started next Saturday in a game that they should win comfortably. They will welcome in the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers for their home opener in a game that sees the Gamecocks in as a 29.5-point favorite, with the point total set at 57.
Coastal Carolina vs South Carolina NCAA Football Week 1 Odds
Coming soon 🤙 pic.twitter.com/75Lm0biWdC— Gamecock Football (@GamecockFB) 19 de agosto de 2018
- When: Saturday, September 1 at 12 PM EST
- Where: Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia
- TV: SEC Network
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: Watch SEC
- NCAA Football Week 1 Odds: South Carolina -29.5 (Total 57)
- Score: Coastal Carolina 10.00 / South Carolina 70.00
- Rush Yards: Coastal Carolina 72.00 / South Carolina 352.00
- Pass Attempts: Coastal Carolina 35.00 / South Carolina 27.00
- Completion Percentage: Coastal Carolina 51.43 / South Carolina 74.07
- Passing Yards: Coastal Carolina 222.00 / South Carolina 287.00
- Total Yards: Coastal Carolina 294 / South Carolina 639
- Turnovers: Coastal Carolina 3.00 / South Carolina 0.00
Why bet on the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers?The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers play in the East Division in the Sun Belt Conference and are coming into the new season on the heels of a bit of a disaster year. The Chanticleers finished the 2017 season with a 3-9 record, which was comprised of a 9-game losing streak book-ended by a couple of wins here and there.There were 3 separate occasions last season where the Chanticleers gave up more than 50 PPG, which could be problematic against a Gamecocks offense that, while not high in scoring last year, was certainly effective in moving the football. The Chanticleers were particularly poor on the road last season, going just 1-5 in games played away from their own building. They were 5-7 ATS but were a little more competitive on the road ATS, going 3-3 in those games.
Why bet on the South Carolina Gamecocks?Last year was a big step forward for the Gamecocks under Will Muschamp, going 9-4 on the season, including an impressive Bowl Game win over the Michigan Wolverines. The Gamecocks were particularly effective at home, going 6-2 in those games. While this game should be one that they win without breaking too much of a sweat, they cannot make the mistake of looking forward to Week 2 of the college football season, as that is when they will be facing the Georgia Bulldogs.This game should serve as a good warm-up game for the bigger challenges to come, although the 35-point spread here is a big one to overcome. South Carolina went 8-4-1 ATS last season, but just 3-4-1 ATS at home. There is a very good chance that the starters may be out of this game by the start of the second half, which is something to keep in mind when playing ATS here.
Latest NCAA Football Betting Trends
- Coastal Carolina is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
- Coastal Carolina is 3-16 SU in its last 19 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Coastal Carolina’s last 5 games on the road
- South Carolina is 6-2-1 ATS in its last 9 games
- South Carolina is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games