No. 23 SMU will not have an unbeaten season, but even off a loss the Mustangs still are very much in contention to reach the AAC Championship Game. They shouldn’t have much trouble this week as a more than three-TD NCAA football betting favorite at Mybookie over East Carolina.
How to Bet East Carolina at SMU NCAA Football Odds & TV Info
- When: Saturday, noon ET
- Where: Gerald J. Ford Stadium
- TV: ESPNU
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- College Football Week 11 Odds: SMU -22 (Total 70.5)
Last East Carolina vs SMU Meeting
SMU hasn’t played East Carolina since winning there 55-31 in 2016. Horace Richardson returned a pair of interceptions for touchdowns. Richardson’s 70-yard return put the Mustangs in front 31-17 in the second quarter and his 80-yarder in the third made it 45-24. Ben Hicks threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Courtland Sutton had 12 catches for 166 yards plus two touchdowns. None of those guys are still around. ECU had 466 yards offense but also five turnovers.
Why Bet on East Carolina?
ECU (3-6) comes off 46-43 loss to No. 17 Cincinnati. Sam Crosa kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired. Desmond Ridder threw for 161 yards and a touchdown, rushed for 146 more and led two scoring drives in the fourth quarter, including the winning drive in the final 1:10 for the East Division-leading Bearcats. The 24 1/2-point favorites trailed by 12 points with less than 9 minutes left before escaping with their sixth win in a row.
“We’re almost there,” said sophomore safety Daniel Charles, who gave the defense a first-half jolt with a pair of interceptions. “Everybody’s making plays. All my teammates are making plays. We’ve just got to get over that last little hump and finish the game.”
Pirates QB Holton Ahlers, a left-handed sophomore, established an ECU single-game record of 535 passing yards, which also ranks third in AAC history, and matched a career best with four touchdown passes while avoiding a sack for the first time this year. CJ Johnson finished with career-highs of 12 catches and 283 yards, the latter of which set both ECU and AAC records for receiving yards. Johnson’s night included a 75-yard touchdown catch and run in the first quarter. All 12 of his receptions went for 10 or more yards. A total of 30 of 44 receptions have gone for 10 or more yards (12 for 20 plus) this season. This year, ECU is 35 of 43 (7 of 7 on the day) inside the red zone (19 TDs, 16 FGs) and opponents are 31 of 34 (24 TDs, 7 FGs).
Daniel Charles picked off a pair of passes in the first half (three for his career) and is the first Pirate with two INTs in a game since Lamar Ivey (2014) vs. Cincinnati.
ECU is led by first-year coach Mike Houston, formerly of James Madison. Houston guided the Dukes to a 37-6 mark, which included three NCAA FCS postseason appearances (2016 national champions, 2017 national runner-up, 2018 second round) and a pair of Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) titles.
- Points per Game: 21.50
- Passing Yards: 218.88
- Rushing Yards: 154.63
- Yards per Play: 5.21
- Points per Game: 28.25
- Passing Yards: 225.00
- Rushing Yards: 192.25
- Yards per Play: 5.84
Why Bet on SMU?
SMU was knocked out of first in the AAC West Division with last week’s 54-48 loss at No. 24 Memphis. Brady White threw for 350 yards and three touchdowns, and Antonio Gibson had a school-record 386 all-purpose yards with three scores to lead the Tigers. SMU (8-1, 4-1) came in with its best start to a season since 1982 when they won their first 10. The Mustangs left having lost their sixth straight in Memphis in a series dominated by the Tigers.
The teams combined for 1,067 yards total offense, and SMU had its chance after scoring three TDs in the fourth quarter. Shane Buechele threw a 2-yard TD pass to James Proche with 2:06 left and went for 2 after each, converting all three. But Preston Brady recovered SMU’s onside kick, and Memphis ran out the clock for the victory.
Buechele finished with 456 yards passing and three TDs, and Ke’mon Freeman ran for two TDs. Shane Buechele has multiple passing TDs in 8 straight games, and entered the game tied for the second-longest streak in FBS. That ties for the second-longest streak at SMU. Proche had a TD reception for the eighth game (was 13-149 receiving). That ties the record at SMU and Proche tied Emmanuel Sanders for the SMU career receiving TDs record (34).
SMU has at least 34 points in each game this year and is averaging 43.6 on the season. It scored 40+ for the 7th time this season, extending a program record. The Mustangs have 27 rushing touchdowns in 2019 after just 17 during the 2018 season.
- Points per Game: 43.00
- Passing Yards: 301.38
- Rushing Yards: 202.75
- Yards per Play: 6.02
- Points per Game: 27.75
- Passing Yards: 270.88
- Rushing Yards: 116.63
- Yards per Play: 5.22
East Carolina vs SMU College Football Week 11 Betting Trends
- Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings
- Road team is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings
- East Carolina are 2-5 SU in their last 7 games this season
- East Carolina are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games played in week 11
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of East Carolina’s last 7 games played in November
- Southern Methodist are 8-1 SU in their last 9 games
- Southern Methodist are 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 games played in November
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Southern Methodist’s last 6 games against East Carolina
Expert Final Score Prediction for East Carolina vs SMU
East Carolina 24 – SMU 48
More Week 11 NCAAF Betting News
- Nevada vs San Diego State 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Prediction
- Clemson vs North Carolina State 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Pick
- Appalachian State vs South Carolina 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Pick
- Notre Dame vs Duke 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Prediction
- Iowa State vs Oklahoma 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Game Preview
- Missouri vs Georgia 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Game Preview
- LSU vs Alabama 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- Connecticut vs Cincinnati 2019 College Football Week 11 Lines & Prediction
- Wake Forest vs Virginia Tech 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds & Pick
- College Football Picks Week Eleven (Ep. 749)
- Kansas State vs Texas 2019 College Football Week 11 Spread & Expert Analysis
- East Carolina vs SMU 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds, Preview & Pick
- 2019 College Football Week 11 Over/Under Betting Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 11 ATS Betting Picks