The goal of every team playing in one of the Power 5 conferences is to win the conference crown and hope that they have done enough to grab the attention of the playoff committee. Even if it’s not enough, winning a conference championship is usually enough to at least land one of the bigger bowl games during the holiday season. There are certainly some conferences that are easier to navigate than others, especially those that are split into divisions. One of the most open divisions right now is the Big Ten West, which is a lot less stacked than the East.
While the East has 4 ranked teams in there, the West is down to just 2. This is the division that Northwestern managed to come out of last season, so this one is there for the taking. The Iowa Hawkeyes look like they will be in the hunt there, and while this is not a conference game, it’s an opportunity to keep their unbeaten start to the season alive. The Hawkeyes are favored by 23 ½, with the point total set at 53.
Middle Tennessee State vs Iowa 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Analysis
- When: Saturday, September 28, 12 PM EST
- Where: Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City
- TV: ESPN2
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- College Football Week 5 Odds: Iowa -23.5 (Total 53)
- PM Showers: 19°C/67°F
- Humidity: 72%
- Precipitation: 40%
- Cloud Cover: 68%
- Wind: 12 mph NE
- Stadium Type: Open
Why bet on the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders?
The Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders play out of Conference USA, which is where their attentions will turn after this one. They have yet to play a conference game this season, which is perhaps why they are hobbling into this one with a 1-2 record. Included in those losses was a 40-21 defeat at the hands of the Michigan Wolverines, a game that they started as a 36-point underdog.
That is something that you should probably keep in mind when looking at the point spread for this one. That said, they are just 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games overall, while failing to pick up a win in their last 8 meetings with a team from the Big Ten Conference. Their last 5 road games have ended with the point total going OVER.
- Points per Game: 33.00
- Passing Yards: 300.50
- Rushing Yards: 152.00
- Yards per Play: 7.13
- Points per Game: 33.00
- Passing Yards: 239.50
- Rushing Yards: 220.00
- Yards per Play: 6.01
Why bet on the Iowa Hawkeyes?
The Iowa Hawkeyes are coming into this one with a perfect 3-0 record, but only by the skin of their teeth. They looked very comfortable in the opening 2 weeks of the season, but they were made to battle to the finish for their win last week, taking down the Iowa State Cyclones in an 18-17 win. While that was a tight one, this is a team that has looked very good on the defensive side of the football, surrendering just a little over 10 PPG through their opening 3 games.
The Hawkeyes are now on a run that has seen them win 6 games in a row, while also winning 4 of their last 5 games at home. On the downside, they are just 3-6 ATS in their last 9 games. The OVER has hit in 10 of their last 14 games.
- Points per Game: 34.00
- Passing Yards: 248.00
- Rushing Yards: 203.50
- Yards per Play: 6.27
- Points per Game: 7.00
- Passing Yards: 113.50
- Rushing Yards: 71.50
- Yards per Play: 3.66
Middle Tennessee State vs Iowa College Football Week 5 Betting Trends
- Blue Raiders are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games
- Blue Raiders are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games played on a Saturday
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Middle Tennessee’s last 11 games played in September
- Hawkeyes are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games at home
- Hawkeyes are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games played on a Saturday
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Iowa’s last 7 games played in week 5
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Middle Tennessee State vs Iowa
This should be a much more comfortable outing for the Hawkeyes than the one they had last week, which is why I like them to come out and cover the spread. I also like this one to creep over the 53-point total.
Score: Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders 13 – Iowa Hawkeyes 42
More Week 5 College Football Betting News
- Mississippi State vs Auburn 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Expert Pick
- Connecticut vs UCF 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Game Preview
- USC vs Washington 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Betting Analysis
- Virginia vs Notre Dame 2019 College Football Week 5 Lines & Game Prediction
- Towson vs Florida 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Clemson vs North Carolina 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Game Preview
- Middle Tennessee State vs Iowa 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Analysis
- Northwestern vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Expert Pick
- Texas Tech vs Oklahoma 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Prediction
- 2019 College Football Week 5 Over/Under Betting Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 5 ATS Betting Picks
- Washington State vs Utah 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Preview and Prediction
- Penn State vs Maryland 2019 College Football Week 4 Lines & Game Prediction
- Arizona State vs California 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Game Preview and Pick