No. 8 Wisconsin is now the clear favorite to win the Big Ten West Division for the third time in the past four years and the Badgers are heavy favorites on the NCAA football odds on Saturday against defending West Division champion Northwestern.
How to Bet Northwestern vs Wisconsin College Football Week 5 Spread & Game Info
- When: Saturday, noon ET
- Where: Camp Randall Stadium
- TV: ABC
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- Radio: SiriusXM
- College Football Week 5 Spread: Wisconsin -24 (Total 46)
Last year the Badgers were ranked 20th and lost at unranked Northwestern 31-17. Clayton Thorson ran for two touchdowns and threw for one to lead the Wildcats – he’s no longer there. With quarterback Alex Hornibrook sidelined by a concussion and the defense without several injured starters, it was simply a rough afternoon for Wisconsin.
Northwestern turned two fumbles by star running back Jonathan Taylor and another by quarterback Jack Coan into 17 points. Taylor, the nation’s leading rusher at the time, ran for just 46 yards on 11 carries.
Since Northwestern snapped the Badgers’ 13-game win streak in the series with a 17-14 triumph in 1985, the rivalry has been largely even. The teams have split their last 28 meetings, 14-14. The Badgers have claimed 4 of the last 7 meetings with the Wildcats, overall, dating back to 2010.
- Partly Cloudy: 17°C/62°F
- Humidity: 70%
- Precipitation: 10%
- Cloud Cover: 40%
- Wind: 8 mph NE
- Stadium Type: Open
Why Bet on Northwestern?
The Cats fell to 1-2 and continued to struggle offensively in a 31-10 home loss to Michigan State last week. Redshirt freshman Drake Anderson led the ‘Cats in rushing yards for the second-straight game, making efficient use of his 16 carries by accumulating 86 yards. The running back also scored the second touchdown of his young career. The Wildcats rushed for 129 yards in the contest versus a Spartans team that entered the game surrendering just 23.3 per game. The ’Cats are averaging 202.5 rushing yards per game over their last two contests.
Junior quarterback Aidan Smith engineered a Wildcat touchdown drive with 2:41 left in the fourth quarter. Smith set career-highs with four completions for 38 yards. He replaced a struggling Hunter Johnson, although it’s expected Johnson will start again here. Senior defensive end Joe Gaziano recorded a sack late in the second quarter, bringing his career total to 23.5 and tying him for second on the all-time NU sack list with Ifeadi Odenigbo (2013-16). The all-time leader is Casey Dailey with 28.
Despite the loss, Northwestern is 15-2 in its last 17 regular season Big Ten contests. Maybe it’s a good thing this is on the road as the Wildcats have won eight-straight Big Ten road games and are approaching nearly two full years since their last Big Ten road loss which came to the Badgers on Sept. 30, 2017.
Northwestern will square off against one of the nation’s top running backs and a 2018 Heisman finalist Saturday in Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor. The junior ranks ninth in the country with 440 rushing yards and is 3rd nationally with 146.7 yards per game. The Wildcats have had success limiting Taylor’s success the last two seasons, holding him to just 63 rushing yards per game and forcing two fumbles.
- Points per Game: 18.50
- Passing Yards: 141.00
- Rushing Yards: 184.50
- Yards per Play: 4.82
- Points per Game: 15.50
- Passing Yards: 176.50
- Rushing Yards: 171.00
- Yards per Play: 5.15
Why Bet on Wisconsin?
Wisconsin jumped to No. 8 in this week’s AP Top 25 with an impressive 35-14 win over then-No. 11 Michigan last week. is. Jonathan Taylor ran for 203 yards and two touchdowns, and QB Jack Coan added a career-high two rushing touchdowns.
Taylor had 143 yards and both scores in the first quarter, including a 72-yarder. He missed the second quarter due to cramps, but the 2018 Doak Walker Award winner returned in the third. Taylor became Wisconsin’s first player in history to rush for at least 200 yards against Michigan. Coan is now 58-for-75 (77.3%) on the season with 5 TDs and 0 INTs.
The Badgers’ 21-point win marked their second largest win over Michigan in the history of the rivalry, trailing only a 34-12 win dating back to 1962. Wisconsin improved to 28-8 (.778) in Big Ten play over the last 5 seasons. Only Ohio State (32-4, .889) owns a better league mark during that span. Just how dominant has Wisconsin been through 3 games this season? The Badgers have run 76.6% of their plays while leading their opponent by a margin of at least 14 points, the No. 1 game-control mark in the FBS.
After moving up to No. 8 in the latest Associated Press Top 25, Saturday will mark Wisconsin’s 125th game all-time as a top-10 ranked team. Wisconsin has won 4 straight meetings with Northwestern when ranked in the top 10 of the Associated Press Top 25. In addition, the Badgers have claimed 5 of the last 6 meetings between the teams at Camp Randall Stadium.
- Points per Game: 55.00
- Passing Yards: 299.50
- Rushing Yards: 216.50
- Yards per Play: 6.83
- Points per Game: 0.00
- Passing Yards: 87.00
- Rushing Yards: 20.50
- Yards per Play: 2.13
Northwestern vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Betting Trends
- Underdog is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings
- Home team is 12-4 ATS in their last 16 meetings
- Wildcats are 9-4 SU in their last 13 games
- Wildcats are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against Wisconsin
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Northwestern’s last 7 games played on a Saturday
- Badgers are 17-2 SU in their last 19 games at home
- Badgers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games played in week 5
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Wisconsin’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Big 10 conference
Expert Final Score Prediction for Northwestern vs Wisconsin
Northwestern 10 – Wisconsin 27
More Week 5 College Football Betting News
- Mississippi State vs Auburn 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Expert Pick
- Connecticut vs UCF 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Game Preview
- USC vs Washington 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Betting Analysis
- Virginia vs Notre Dame 2019 College Football Week 5 Lines & Game Prediction
- Towson vs Florida 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Clemson vs North Carolina 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Game Preview
- Middle Tennessee State vs Iowa 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Analysis
- Northwestern vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Expert Pick
- Texas Tech vs Oklahoma 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds & Prediction
- 2019 College Football Week 5 Over/Under Betting Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 5 ATS Betting Picks
- Washington State vs Utah 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Preview and Prediction
- Penn State vs Maryland 2019 College Football Week 4 Lines & Game Prediction
- Arizona State vs California 2019 College Football Week 5 Odds, Game Preview and Pick
Even More Wisconsin Archived Betting Articles
- Iowa vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 11 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Wisconsin vs Ohio State 2019 College Football Week 9 Lines & Expert Analysis
- Wisconsin vs Illinois 2019 College Football Week 8 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Michigan State vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 7 Lines & Expert Pick
- Kent State vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 6 Spread & Game Preview
- Northwestern vs Wisconsin 2019 College Football Week 5 Spread & Expert Pick
- Miami vs Wisconsin 2018 Pinstripe Bowl Spread & Expert Pick
- Wisconsin vs Penn State NCAA Football Week 11 Odds & Preview
- Rutgers vs Wisconsin NCAA Football Week 10 Lines & Prediction
- Wisconsin vs Northwestern NCAA Football Week 9 Lines & Pick
- Illinois vs Wisconsin NCAA Football Week 8 Lines & Prediction
- Wisconsin vs Iowa NCAA Football Week 4 Odds & Prediction
- BYU at Wisconsin College Football Week 3 Lines
- New Mexico vs Wisconsin NCAA Football Week 2 Pick