The Penn State Nittany Lions will be looking to bounce back from consecutive losses and keep their now, super narrow College Football Playoff hopes alive when they take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in their Week 11 Big Ten matchup. Getting the outright win may not be too difficult for 16th-ranked Penn State, but covering the NCAAF odds looks like a daunting task. Now, let’s find out if Penn State can cover the College Football Week 11 spread!
Scarlet Knights at Nittany Lions College Football Week 11 Spread & Pick
— Rutgers Football (@RFootball) 8 de noviembre de 2017
- When: 12:00 PM ET, Saturday, November 11, 2017
- Where: Beaver Stadium, University Park, Pennsylvania
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 97.3 FM (Rutgers) / 103.1 FM (Penn State)
- Live Stream: BTN2Go
- College Football Week 11 Spread: Penn State -31 (Over/Under at 52.5)
- All: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 4-5 / Penn State Nittany Lions 7-2
- Home: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 3-3 / Penn State Nittany Lions 5-0
- Away: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 1-2 / Penn State Nittany Lions 2-2
- ATS: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 7-2 / Penn State Nittany Lions 6-2-1
- Over/Under: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 4-4 / Penn State Nittany Lions 4-5
Recent Head to Head (Last 3 Games)
- Record: Penn State Nittany Lions lead 3-0
- Score: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 4.33 / Penn State Nittany Lions 26.67
- Rush Yards: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 61.33 / Penn State Nittany Lions 244.33
- Pass Attempts: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 30.00 / Penn State Nittany Lions 32.00
- Completion Percentage: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 54.44 / Penn State Nittany Lions 54.17
- Passing Yards: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 163.67 / Penn State Nittany Lions 220.00
- Total Yards: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 225.00 / Penn State Nittany Lions 464.33
- Turnovers: Rutgers Scarlet Knights 2.67 / Penn State Nittany Lions 1.00
Why consider the Scarlet Knights College Football Week 11 Spread at +31?
Why bet on Rutgers in this contest? Well, because they’re playing their best football of the season right now and are getting a ton of points!
Rutgers got past Maryland 31-24 last week in a hard-fought battle and has won three of its last four games coming into this contest. The Scarlet Knights rushed for impressive 239 yards against the Terrapins while doubling their victory total from a year ago after going 2-10 last season.
“The team changed after last season,” second-year coach Chris Ash said on Monday. “We went through an awful experience last year.”
Each of the Scarlet Knights’ last three wins has been hard-fought games that basically went down to the wire. Rutgers has found a way to pick up wins despite averaging a modest 22.6 points per game and allowing 24.9 per contest defensively.
“We’re getting closer, we’re getting better,” Ash said, “but we’re still so far from what we want to be.”
- Average Score For: 22.56
- Total Yards: 294.44
- Rush Yards: 167.44
- Passing Yards: 127.00
- Average Score Against: 24.89
- Total Yards: 393.89
- Rush Yards: 180.78
- Passing Yards: 213.11
Why consider the Nittany Lions College Football Week 11 Spread at -31?
Why bet on Penn State in this contest? Because they’re superior to the Scarlet Knights in all three phases of the game – and completely desperate!
Penn State head coach James Franklin is disappointed with his team’s lack of focus the last two weeks after collapsing late against Ohio State in their heartbreaking 39-38 loss two weeks ago and ensuing 27-24 defeat at Michigan State last week.
“We’re not mature enough to handle that,” Franklin told reporters. “I don’t know if anybody is, to be honest with you. We’re going to get back to what I know works — our formula.”
That formula, he said, involves focusing ongoing 1-0 each week.
“I’m just a huge believer in you take care of today and that will take care of tomorrow,” he said. “So we are going to make sure that we get back to the formula that got us here in the first place and that I believe so strongly in.”
Franklin believes his team got beat on the offensive and defensive lines the last two weeks.
“We’re going to become a more hard-nosed team up front, on both sides of the ball,” Franklin told reporters after the Michigan State game.
- Average Score For: 38.00
- Total Yards: 443.55
- Rush Yards: 152.22
- Passing Yards: 291.33
- Average Score Against: 14.78
- Total Yards: 331.44
- Rush Yards: 120.22
- Passing Yards: 211.22
Latest NCAAF Week 11 Betting Trends
- Scarlet Knights are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games
- Scarlet Knights are 4-14 SU in their last 18 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Rutgers’s last 5 games
- Nittany Lions are 15-2-1 ATS in their last 18 games
- Nittany Lions are 16-3 SU in their last 19 games
- The total has gone OVER in 15 of Penn State’s last 23 games
Expert Analysis and Prediction
There’s no sense in beating around the bush. No matter how hard I try to envision it, I just don’t see Penn State covering the spread as four-touchdown plus home favorites against a Rutgers team that is playing very competitive football right now. The Scarlet Knights have gone a perfect 4-0 ATS in their last four conference games and 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight-up win while the Nittany Lions have gone 1-9-2 ATS in their last 12 games following a straight up loss.
There’s a reason why 57 percent of the betting public likes the Rutgers Scarlet Knights to cover the spread in this one and it’s because four touchdowns is a bit too much for the struggling Penn State Nittany Lions to cover!
Pick: Rutgers +31