In college football, it is tough to stay on top for an extended period of time, a piece of information that comes as no surprise to the teams that have seen years pass since their last National Championship. Alabama has been a dominant force in the game for the last 9 years, winning 5 titles in that time. That level of dominance makes it tough for other teams to breakthrough, while also making it tougher for them to pull in recruits who are chased by the other big teams.That has been the situation that the Texas Longhorns have found themselves in, as it has now been a long time since that great moment when QB Vince Young scampered into the end zone to send the National Championship to Texas. There are signs that the Longhorns are making a return to the top, and they will begin this season ranked in the top 25. Whether they stay there will depend on if they can take out a Maryland Terrapins team that beat them last season in an absolute thriller.
Texas vs Maryland 2018 NCAA Football Week 1 Odds & Pick
- When: Saturday, September 1 at 12 PM EST
- Where: FedEx Field, Landover
- TV: FS1
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- NCAAF Betting Odds: Texas -13.5 (Total 56.5)
- Score: Texas 41.00 / Maryland 51.00
- Rush Yards: Texas 98.00 / Maryland 263.00
- Pass Attempts: Texas 53.00 / Maryland 15.00
- Completion Percentage: Texas 64.15 / Maryland 80.00
- Passing Yards: Texas 375.00 / Maryland 219.00
- Total Yards: Texas 473.00 / Maryland 482.00
- Turnovers: Texas 2.00 / Maryland 1.00
Why bet on the Texas Longhorns?The Texas Longhorns finished 2017 with a winning 7-6 record, still well off the pace that they are looking to set. There were some definite signs of improvement over previous seasons, though, and there is a strong sense that they might be ready to take another step forward this season. That all begins by trying to get revenge on a Terrapins team that beat them 51-41 last season. That loss came at home, where Texas struggled, going just 3-4 in their own building.That is something that they will need to improve upon if they are to challenge for a Big 12 Conference title. The Longhorns come into this game as a 13 ½ point favorite and will be hoping to do better than the 5-7 ATS record that they posted last season, which included going 2-4 ATS at home.
Why bet on the Maryland Terrapins?The Terrapins did not have a season to remember in 2017, going just 4-8 SU on the season. As mentioned earlier, one of those wins came against Texas, with the outcome of that one being a surprise in more ways than one. The biggest of those surprises was that the Terrapins were able to rack up 51 points in that game, well above the 24 PPG that they averaged throughout the course of the year.It was the defensive side of the football that was the Achilles heel for Maryland in 2017, as they gave up an average of 37 PPG. The D gave up close to 200 yards per game on the ground, which is where they are going to need to plug some holes if they are to improve this season. They held the Longhorns to under 100 yards when they met last season and may need to do the same again if they are to get the win here.
Latest NCAAF Betting Trends
- Texas is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games on the road
- Texas is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Texas’s last 5 games on the road
- Maryland is 2-6 ATS in its last 8 games
- Maryland is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Maryland’s last 9 games