Be careful going after Leonard Fournette. https://t.co/OvxNcIW4Nb— ESPN CollegeFootball (@ESPNCFB) October 18, 2015
Sophomore running back Leonard Fournette has been the nation’s most dominant player through the first half of the 2015 college football season for NCAAF odds fans, and he is a major reason why the Tigers are the only undefeated team in SEC West conference play. This past Saturday, he led the Tigers to a 35-28 win over Florida for the delight of LSU’s online betting aficionados, scoring two touchdowns and rumbling for 180 yards on 31 carries. He has scored at least two touchdowns in five of the first six games that the Tigers have played this season.
There is only one running back who has won the Heisman Trophy since 2000, and that was Mark Ingram from Alabama back in 2009. However, the production he has amassed over the first half of the season has gone above and beyond expectations for Heisman Trophy contenders who rely on the run. He has 1,202 yards on the ground – through just six games. That is the eighth most of any player through six games in the history of FBS football.
His 200 yard per game average is the highest in the nation, and he is tied with Greg Ward Jr. of Houston for the NCAA lead in rushing scores with 14. He is AVERAGING 8.01 yards per carry.
If Brandon Harris can keep quarterbacking the Tigers the way he has, Fournette could see those numbers surge even higher. Harris didn’t do much at all for the Tiger offense over the first few weeks of the season, but he has thrown for more than 200 yards each of the last two weeks. If Harris can make defenses respect the pass instead of just loading up on Fournette and the run, Fournette could end up taking the Heisman Trophy in a landslide.
If there is a threat to Fournette out there right now, it’s TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin. His performance has been steady all year, but the game that saw him bring the most impact was probably in the Horned Frogs’ 45-21 victory over Iowa State. Boykin went 27 for 32 in that game for an 84 percent completion rate. This was the best percentage in his career and the fourth best percentage in one game in school history. Bokin headlines a TCU offense that puts up 50.1 points per game. He has also built considerable chemistry with Josh Doctson. However, the Frogs have yet to play Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the Big 12. If Boykin can play well in those three tough matchups, he will have a solid argument against Fournette.
Some other names to watch include Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch (13 touchdowns and one interception); Baker Mayfield from Oklahoma; Derrick Henry from Alabama; Dalvin Cook from Florida State; and Christian McCaffrey from Stanford. Auburn’s Jeremy Johnson entered the season as a Heisman candidate, but he hasn’t played since he got benched in the LSU loss on September 19. For now, Fournette is the favorite.
Sports & Betting Topics
- Early 2020 National Championship Odds – Analyzing the Favorites
- 2020 National Championship Betting Lines – Underdogs Analysis
- 2020 National Championship Odds – Dark Horses Analysis
- Early 2020 National Championship Betting Favorites – January 8th Edition
- 2019 National Championship ATS Betting Pick
- How to Bet the 2019 National Championship Game
- 2019 National Championship SU Betting Pick
- Why Bet for Alabama Crimson Tide to Win the 2019 National Championship?
- Top College Bowl Betting Picks of the Week – December 31st
- Clemson vs Alabama 2019 National Championship Odds & Analysis
- Kentucky vs Penn State 2019 Citrus Bowl Odds & Expert Pick
- Texas vs Georgia 2019 Sugar Bowl Betting Lines & Preview
- Washington vs Ohio State 2019 Rose Bowl Odds & Prediction
- LSU vs UCF 2019 Fiesta Bowl Lines & Game Prediction
- Mississippi State vs Iowa 2019 Outback Bowl Odds & Preview
- Alabama vs Oklahoma 2018 Orange Bowl Betting Lines & Pick
- Clemson vs Notre Dame 2018 Cotton Bowl Odds & Expert Pick
- NC State vs Texas A&M 2018 Gator Bowl Odds & Game Preview
- Missouri vs Oklahoma State 2018 Liberty Bowl Spread & Analysis
- Michigan State vs Oregon 2018 Redbox Bowl Lines
- Stanford vs Pittsburgh 2018 Sun Bowl Odds & Betting Prediction
- Cincinnati vs Virginia Tech 2018 Military Bowl Spread & Expert Pick
- Arkansas State vs Nevada 2018 Arizona Bowl Lines & Game Preview
- South Carolina vs Virginia 2018 Belk Bowl Odds & Betting Analysis
- Iowa State vs Washington State 2018 Alamo Bowl Lines & Preview
- Florida vs Michigan 2018 Peach Bowl Odds & Pick
- Temple vs Duke 2018 Independence Bowl Odds & Preview
- West Virginia vs Syracuse 2018 Camping World Bowl Odds & Analysis
- Miami vs Wisconsin 2018 Pinstripe Bowl Spread & Expert Pick
- Purdue vs Auburn 2018 Music City Bowl Lines & Prediction