The Wild Card Weekend proved to be well named this year, as we saw some real surprised take place over the last couple of days, not to mention 2 of the 4 games needing OT to decide. Perhaps the wildest result of all, though, was the Tennessee Titans rolling into Foxboro and taking out the defending champion New England Patriots in what may prove to be Tom Brady’s last game as part of that franchise.
The Divisional Round Games are now all set, which means it’s time to look ahead and start deciding how to bet. We will have a breakdown of all the games and picks in the coming week, but let’s get the ball rolling with a brief NFL betting guide, where I will give you my best picks for each of the 4 games.
2020 NFL Divisional Round Betting Guide
AFC Divisional Round
Titans vs RavensThe AFC action kicks off on Saturday night with the upstart Tennessee Titans going on the road to face the Baltimore Ravens. Ask the average football fan who they like to win the Super Bowl this year and you will hear the Ravens get a lot of love, but I still have my concerns. History has not been kind to QB’s who run the football a lot, as the postseason tends to deliver a very different brand of football.
The Titans proved that they can go into hostile territory and hang with the best. They are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 and 7-1 ATS in their last 8 versus teams from the AFC. I am taking the Titans to cover +9.
- Titans are 6-2 SU in their last 8 games
- Titans are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games this season
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Tennessee’s last 5 games on the road
- Ravens are 12-0 SU in their last 12 games this season
- Ravens are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games played in January
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Baltimore’s last 12 games against Tennessee
Texans vs ChiefsThe Houston Texans needed a big comeback and some heroics from DeShaun Watson in OT to get past the Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card. Next up will be a trip to Kansas City to face the Chiefs on Sunday afternoon, with the Texans in as a 9 ½ point underdog.
The Texans went into Arrowhead earlier this season and came away with a 31-24 win, but I don’t think we will see that much offense in this game. The point total for this one has been set at 50 and I am leaning towards the UNDER as my best pick here.
- Texans are 9-4 SU in their last 13 games this season
- Texans are 6-3 ATS in their last 9 games when playing as the underdog
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Houston’s last 7 games played in January
- Chiefs are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games played on a Sunday
- Chiefs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Kansas City’s last 6 games
NFC Divisional Round
Vikings vs 49ersThe biggest upset in the NFC Wild Card saw the Minnesota Vikings head into New Orleans and take out the Saints in OT. The whole idea that Kirk Cousins cannot win the big game was instantly erased after he nailed a deep pass in OT to set up the winning TD.
The issue that they have now is that they are going into San Francisco to face a 49ers team that they have only beaten once in 10 attempts on the road. It may not be the greatest odds, but the 49ers SU seems like the obvious play here.
- Vikings are 9-4 SU in their last 13 games
- Vikings are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games played in January
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Minnesota’s last 9 games this season
- 49ers are 13-3 SU in their last 16 games
- 49ers are 5-14-1 ATS in their last 20 games when playing as the favorite
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of San Francisco’s last 6 games at home
Seahawks vs PackersThe Seattle Seahawks are beaten and banged up, but they still managed to go on the road and beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the Wild Card Round. They will have an even tougher go of it this coming Sunday when they head to Lambeau Field to face the Green Bay Packers as a 4-point underdog.
What I am looking at with this one is the point total. 9 of the last 12 games that the Packers have played versus teams from the NFC West have gone UNDER, as have 5 of the last 7 that the Seahawks have played against the NFC North. I am on the UNDER here.
- Seahawks are 8-1 SU in their last 9 games on the road
- Seahawks are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 games against Green Bay
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Seattle’s last 6 games played in January
- Packers are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games at home
- Packers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games played in January
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Green Bay’s last 8 games