It’s the final week of the NFL regular season, and for the teams that have booked their spot in the playoffs, the decision now needs to be made whether to rest key players or play them. For some, there is still the business of final seeding’s to take care of, which means that their decision may already be made for them. The Philadelphia Eagles are in a position where they have nothing to worry about heading into this weekend, as they already know that they will have home-field advantage all the way through the playoffs, which is why they don’t come in as the NFL Week 17 odds favorite.
They will certainly be tempted to rest some guys, especially when you consider that they have already lost their starting QB for the season. You also need to consider that things can be a little rougher against a division opponent like the Dallas Cowboys, as there are plenty of players with the star on their helmet who will feel as though they have something to prove after a disappointing season that will see the Cowboys sit out the postseason. The Cowboys are a 3-point favorite, with the point total set at 39 ½.
Cowboys (8-7) vs. Eagles (13-2) NFL Week 17 Odds & Pick
— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) 28 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Sunday, December 31 at 1 PM EST
- Where: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
- TV: FOX
- Radio: 105.3 FM (Dallas) / 107.3 FM (Philadelphia)
- Live Stream: NFL Game Pass
- NFL Week 17 Odds: Dallas Cowboys -3EV (Over/Under at 39.5 points)
- Clear: -6°C/22°F
- Humidity: 36%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 25%
- Wind: 15 mph NW
- Stadium Type: Open
- Total Meetings: 117
- First Meeting: September 25, 1960 / Philadelphia Eagles 27 – Dallas Cowboys 25
- Last Meeting: November 19 , 2017 / Dallas Cowboys 9 – Philadelphia Eagles 37
- All-Time Series: Dallas Cowboys lead 65–52
- Largest Margin of Victory: Dallas Cowboys by 49 points
- Longest Win Streak: Dallas Cowboys winning 11
- Current Win Streak: Philadelphia Eagles winning 2
Why consider the Cowboys NFL Week 17 Odds?
This was a season that was supposed to be another big step forward for the Cowboys, but injuries and an on again, off again suspension to Ezekiel Elliott eventually did this team in. Elliott returned from that suspension last week, but was largely ineffective in a 21-12 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, a defeat that ensured that Dallas would not be playing in the postseason.
The loss was all the more disappointing when you consider that the Cowboys had pulled themselves back onto postseason contention with a 3-game winning streak prior to that loss, but the reality is that the damage was done in the middle part of the season when the Cowboys couldn’t buy a win. Jerry Jones has publicly said that Jason Garrett’s job as head coach is safe, but that may well be the kiss of death. Dallas has gone 4-1 SU and ATS in their last 5 visits to Philly, and are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 road games overall.
- Average Score For: 23.20
- Total Yards: 334.07
- Rush Yards: 136.07
- Passing Yards: 198.00
- Average Score Against: 22.13
- Total Yards: 324.67
- Rush Yards: 106.27
- Passing Yards: 218.40
Why consider the Eagles NFL Week 17 Odds?
The big question regarding the Eagles in the final week of the season has to do with just how much time the starters will get on the field. History has shown that sitting guys out in the final week ahead of the bye week does not always end with the best result, as it can be tough to shake off the rust that develops over that time. One thing that we can be sure of is that Nick Foles will once again be under center, as he did not look very good in a win over the Oakland Raiders last weekend.
If Foles continues to play as he did versus the Raiders, the chances of the Eagles getting to the Super Bowl do not look go, so look for him to get more reps this weekend. The Eagles would love to finish the season unbeaten at home, which they will do with a win here. They are also 5-2 ATS in their own house this season.
- Average Score For: 30.47
- Total Yards: 375.53
- Rush Yards: 136.33
- Passing Yards: 239.20
- Average Score Against: 19.27
- Total Yards: 306.87
- Rush Yards: 75.87
- Passing Yards: 231.00
Latest NFL Week 17 Betting Trends
- Cowboys are 2-4-1 ATS in their last 7 games
- Cowboys are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Dallas’s last 8 games when playing on the road against Philadelphia
- Eagles are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games at home
- Eagles are 12-1 SU in their last 13 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia’s last 6 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
While I am not suggesting that the Eagles are going to ease up in their final game of the season, I do think they will have an eye on the playoffs, and will also have a number of back-ups on the field throughout this game. That is why I am taking Dallas to win and cover.
Score: Dallas Cowboys 24 – Philadelphia Eagles 17