The Los Angeles Chargers have been one of the NFL’s most disappointing teams thus far and they look to end a two-game losing streak on Sunday as slight NFL betting underdogs at the Tennessee Titans, who have quarterback problems.
How to Bet Chargers vs Titans NFL Week 8 Odds & Game Info
- When: Sunday, 4:05 PM ET
- Where: Nissan Stadium
- TV: CBS
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NFL League Pass
- NFL Week 8 Odds: Tennessee Titans -2 (Total 39.5)
Chargers vs Titans Last Meeting
These teams played last year in London and the Chargers won 20-19. The Titans had a late touchdown and opted to go for 2 and the win. Adrian Phillips broke up Marcus Mariota’s pass attempt, the Titans’ second after a defensive penalty on the first attempt.
The Titans drove 89 yards over the final 4:55 before Mariota’s 1-yard pass to tight end Luke Stocker pulled them within one point. Philip Rivers threw for 306 yards and two scores in the loss. The Bolts were without an injured Melvin Gordon.
- Partly Cloudy: 26°C/78°F
- Humidity: 66%
- Precipitation: 20%
- Cloud Cover: 45%
- Wind: 6 mph SSE
- Stadium Type: Open
Why Bet on LA Chargers?
Disappointing Los Angeles lost for the fourth time in five games last week, 24-17 at home to Pittsburgh and rookie QB Devlin Hodges in his first-ever NFL start. Hodges, who was elevated into the starting spot after Mason Rudolph suffered a concussion last week against Baltimore completed 15 of 20 passes for 132 yards with a touchdown and interception. He benefited from a strong running game and a defense that scored the game’s first touchdown and forced three turnovers.
Philip Rivers completed 26-of-44 passes for 320 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the loss. Rivers missed Melvin Gordon on a backwards pass early in the first quarter, leading to a scoop-and-score from Steelers LB Devin Bush. The Chargers’ longtime franchise QB was under constant duress for most of the contest, while the ground game converted 14 carries into just 32 scoreless yards. The Chargers haven’t scored more than 20 points against anyone other than the Dolphins since Week 1.
On Rivers’ first pass, he claimed sole possession of the No. 7 spot on the NFL’s all-time completions list, surpassing injured Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger. Rivers now has 4,677 career regular-season completions.
What’s happening with Gordon?
Melvin Gordon rushed eight times for 18 yards and had three receptions for 30 additional yards. Gordon has totaled just 49 rushing yards on 20 attempts in his first two games of the 2019 season, averaging a paltry 2.45 yards per carry. It’s the worst two-game rushing stretch of Gordon’s five-year career. Head coach Anthony Lynn said that the plan is to keep Gordon involved in the offense, even though the Chargers are averaging just 33.5 rushing yards a contest with Gordon in the lineup.
The only offensive player who did much last week was tight end Hunter Henry. Hunter Henry caught 8-of-9 targets for 100 yards and two touchdowns. Sunday night marked the third time the Bolts have had a 100-yard receiver in a game this season.
- Points per Game: 20.60
- Passing Yards: 282.40
- Rushing Yards: 89.80
- Yards per Play: 5.83
- Points per Game: 18.80
- Passing Yards: 215.00
- Rushing Yards: 119.80
- Yards per Play: 6.04
Why Bet on Tennessee?
The Titans lost for the fourth time in five games last Sunday as well 16-0 in Denver. The Broncos blasted their way to seven sacks and three interceptions while sending Marcus Mariota to the bench and then stifling his backup, Ryan Tannehill, too, in their first shutout in two years. The Titans had just 204 yards. Mariota’s 38.9% completion percentage against Denver was his second lowest ever, better only than a 30% performance in a Week 14 win over the Broncos in 2016.
Tannehill, who was acquired in a trade with the Miami Dolphins during the offseason, saw his first significant action of the season and completed 13 of 16 passes for 144 yards with one interception. He will get the start for this game. While with the Dolphins, Tannehill had a 42-46 record from 2012 to 2018. He missed the 2017 season due to a knee injury. Tannehill has proved in the past that he can put up respectable numbers, passing for more than 4,000 yards in both 2014 and 2015.
Through six weeks, the Titans have averaged 2.5 red zone trips a game. Only 1.3 of those trips are resulting in touchdowns. Both averages are lower than the 1.6 touchdowns Tennessee averaged on 2.9 red zone visits last season.
Tennessee’s defense has been very good this year. In the loss, the Titans defense limited the Broncos to only 11 total first downs. It was the lowest total allowed by the Titans since Oct. 9, 2016 (eight at Miami).
Additionally, the Titans kept their opponent to 20 or fewer points for the sixth consecutive game to begin the season. Since 1999, there have been only two other Titans squads that did not allow more than 20 points in any of their first six games: the 2000 team (seven games) and the 2008 team (six). The 2019 Titans are one of only four NFL teams to hold opponents to 20 or fewer points in every game this season, along with the Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers.
- Points per Game: 19.60
- Passing Yards: 192.20
- Rushing Yards: 115.40
- Yards per Play: 5.09
- Points per Game: 15.20
- Passing Yards: 227.40
- Rushing Yards: 104.80
- Yards per Play: 5.26
Chargers vs Titans NFL Week 8 Betting Trends
- Favorite is 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 meetings
- Home team is 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings
- Chargers are 15-5 SU in their last 20 games against an opponent in the AFC South division
- Chargers are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games played in October
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Chargers’ last 5 games on the road
- Titans are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games played in week 7
- Titans are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games against an opponent in the AFC conference
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Tennessee’s last 6 games against an opponent in the AFC West division
Expert Final Score Prediction for Chargers vs Titans
Los Angeles Chargers 17 – Tennessee Titans 13
More Week 7 NFL Betting News
- Vikings vs Jets NFL Week 7 Odds & Game Preview
- How to Bet Giants at Falcons NFL Week 7 Spread on Monday Night
- Bengals vs Chiefs NFL Week 7 Lines for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Rams vs 49ers NFL Week 7 Spread & Expert Pick
- Cowboys vs Redskins NFL Week 7 Lines & Prediction
- How to Bet Saints vs Ravens NFL Week 7 Spread & Game Analysis
- Lions at Dolphins NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Pick
- Patriots vs Bears NFL Week 7 Betting Odds & Expert Pick
- Panthers at Eagles NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Preview
- Texans vs Jaguars NFL Week 7 Spread, Prediction & Pick
- Browns vs Buccaneers NFL Week 7 Odds & Prediction
- Bills at Colts NFL Week 7 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Titans vs Chargers NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Pick
- How to Bet Broncos at Cardinals NFL Week 7 Spread & Pick