One of the quirks of NFL scheduling is that there are certain teams that just don’t play each other very often, which makes things very interesting when they do hook up. Looking at trends from previous meetings can be tough, especially when those game are a few years apart, but things tend to get a little easier for bettors when you look at the current trends of the teams going head to head. The perfect example of that is the game between the San Francisco 49ers and the huge NFL Week 8 Betting favorite Philadelphia Eagles this coming Sunday.
These two have only hooked up 3 times in the last 7 years, but given the state of the two teams coming into this one, those previous meetings can essentially be thrown out the window. The 49ers are in full rebuilding mode and are coming into this game still seeking their first win of the year.
The Eagles, on the other hand, are sporting the best record in the NFL, and are suddenly looking like the team to beat on the way to the Super Bowl. Knowing this, it’s probably no real surprise to learn that the Eagles are a 12.5-point favorite for this one. The point total for this game is 46.
San Francisco (0-7) at Philadelphia (6-1) NFL Week 8 Betting Preview & Pick
QB1 on his first start of the season + looking ahead to the Eagles. 🎙 pic.twitter.com/NrAhW0ts8s
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) 26 de octubre de 2017
- When: Sunday, October 29 at 1 PM EST
- Where: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
- TV: FOX
- Radio: 107.7 FM (San Francisco) / 94.1 FM (Philadelphia)
- Live Stream: NFL Game Pass
- NFL Week 8 Betting Odds: Philadelphia Eagles -12.5 (Over/Under at 46 points)
- Rain: 16°C/61°F
- Humidity: 81%
- Precipitation: 93%
- Cloud Cover: 100%
- Wind: 8 mph NE
- Stadium Type: Open
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Philadelphia leads 6-4
- Score: San Francisco 20.10 / Philadelphia 28.70
- Rush Yards: San Francisco 130.50 / Philadelphia 103.80
- Pass Attempts: San Francisco 35.80 / Philadelphia 35.40
- Completion Percentage: San Francisco 57.26 / Philadelphia 64.41
- Passing Yards: San Francisco 207.90 / Philadelphia 277.20
- Total Yards: San Francisco 338.4 / Philadelphia 331.00
- Turnovers: San Francisco 2.00 / Philadelphia 1.70
Why bet on the San Francisco 49ers?
The San Francisco 49ers come into this game as a huge underdog, simply because they are 0-7 and going against the team with the best record in the league. While this team is winless, they are perhaps a little unfortunate not to have picked up a couple of wins along the way. Almost unbelievably, 5 of their 7 losses have been by a margin of 3 points or less. Those close calls have not just come against poor teams either, as losses to the Seattle Seahawks and LA Rams are included in that group. Part of the changes being made during this current rebuilding process is getting players into the habit of winning again, which is proving to be very tough indeed.
Given how close the 49ers have played teams this season, you have to believe that they will win one or two, but will that first win come this weekend? The 49ers are 6-2 SU and ATS in their last 8 games played in Philly, but many of those wins came when these two teams were very different from what they are now.
- Average Score For: 17.57
- Total Yards: 316.86
- Rush Yards: 96.00
- Passing Yards: 220.86
- Average Score Against: 26.57
- Total Yards: 393.14
- Rush Yards: 134.57
- Passing Yards: 258.57
Why bet on the Philadelphia Eagles?
We have spoken extensively about the level of parity in the league this year, which is evident by the fact that there is only 1 team with a single loss on the season. That team would be the Philadelphia Eagles. While the Eagles are a very impressive 6-1 through the first 7 weeks of the season, fans in Philly are staying cautiously optimistic. They will almost certainly remember the hot start that this team made last year, and they will definitely remember how it all fell apart in the second half of the season.
There seems to be a different vibe to the Eagles this season, though, and it all begins with QB Carson Wentz. He looks a whole lot more comfortable this year, and it’s tough to imagine that he is going to start struggling now. Philly is 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games at home and is 6-1 ATS in their last 7 meetings with the 49ers.
- Average Score For: 28.43
- Total Yards: 381.42
- Rush Yards: 131.71
- Passing Yards: 249.71
- Average Score Against: 20.86
- Total Yards: 339.86
- Rush Yards: 67.00
- Passing Yards: 272.86
Latest NFL Week 8 Betting Trends
- San Francisco is 4-2 ATS in its last 6 games
- San Francisco is 7-14-1 ATS in its last 22 games
- The total has gone OVER in 14 of San Francisco’s last 20 games on the road
- Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games
- Philadelphia is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Philadelphia’s last 6 games
Expert NFL Week 8 Betting Pick and Score Prediction
The Eagles seem to really be getting into a groove at the halfway stage of the season, and that may well be bad news for the 49ers. I think the Eagles lay a bit of a beating this weekend, covering the spread in the process. I also like the point total to go slightly OVER.
Score: San Francisco 49ers 13 – Philadelphia Eagles 36