This is a tough time of the season for a large number of teams. For those on the outside looking in at the playoffs but still in the hunt, the pressure is on to get the wins that would propel them into the Wild Card. For those that have already clinched a spot, the decision now is whether to give some guys a rest or risk having them injured in a game that is essentially meaningless, which is why choosing an NFL betting pick may be a little harder, but no worries, we got you.
The Minnesota Vikings are in that latter group, although it may be stretching things to declare their game this weekend against the Green Bay Packers as meaningless, as they still have a shot at getting the top seed and home-field advantage through the playoffs. One more win would essentially secure them a bye in the opening week of the postseason, so the question of resting players may be one that is set aside until next week.
The Packers season is done, and they are now just playing for pride, but they would certainly love to knock the Vikings down a peg or two this weekend. The Vikings are favored by 9 points, with the point total set at 41.
Vikings (11-3) vs. Packers (7-7) Game Preview & NFL Betting Pick
— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) 21 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Saturday, December 23 at 8:30 PM EST
- Where: Lambeau Field, Green Bay
- TV: NBC
- Radio: 100.3 FM (Minnesota) / 620 AM (Green Bay)
- Streaming Option: NFL Live
- NFL Betting Odds: Minnesota Vikings -9 (Over/Under at 41)
- Clear: -13°C/8°F
- Humidity: 81%
- Precipitation: 5%
- Cloud Cover: 2%
- Wind: 8 mph WNW
- Stadium Type: Open
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Green Bay Packers lead 6-3-1
- Score: Minnesota Vikings 19.60 / Green Bay Packers 26.50
- Rush Yards: Minnesota Vikings 121.30 / Green Bay Packers 116.00
- Pass Attempts: Minnesota Vikings 33.80 / Green Bay Packers 35.60
- Completion Percentage: Minnesota Vikings 60.36 / Green Bay Packers 62.08
- Passing Yards: Minnesota Vikings 207.30 / Green Bay Packers 231.40
- Total Yards: Minnesota Vikings 328.6 / Green Bay Packers 347.4
- Turnovers: Minnesota Vikings 1.60 / Green Bay Packers 0.90
Why bet on the Minnesota Vikings?
The Vikings got a double boost last weekend, knocking off the Cincinnati Bengals to win the division crown while also getting Teddy Bridgewater back in for some snaps at the tail end of that game. Minnesota would love to get Bridgewater a little more time under center before the playoffs begin, just in case he needs to be called into action, and that will almost certainly happen if they can put the Packers away early on Saturday night.
You have to like their chances of doing so, as they have now won 9 of their last 10 games, and have also covered the spread in 8 of their last 9. The one thing that does not sit in their favor for this game is that they have historically not been very good at Lambeau Field. The Vikings are just 1-6-1 SU in their last 8 visits to Green Bay and went just 2-6 ATS in those meetings.
- Average Score For: 24.50
- Total Yards: 367.65
- Rush Yards: 121.29
- Passing Yards: 246.36
- Average Score For: 17.29
- Total Yards: 283.93
- Rush Yards: 85.29
- Passing Yards: 198.64
Why bet on the Green Bay Packers?
While the Vikings have struggled in Green Bay, those games came when Aaron Rodgers was under center for the Packers, which he will not be this weekend. Rodgers came back from injury in a losing cause last weekend and was mostly ineffective versus the Panthers. Green Bay made the decision to shut him down for the remainder of the season, which is probably for the best given that the Packers are now officially eliminated from playoff contention.
That should see Brett Hundley put back into action for this one, and while he has not been awful in his starts this season, the offense has struggled with him leading the way. You would expect more of the same against this Vikings D. The Packers are 4-3 SU at home this season, but just 3-4 ATS in those games.
- Average Score For: 22.07
- Total Yards: 314.00
- Rush Yards: 107.71
- Passing Yards: 206.29
- Average Score For: 23.79
- Total Yards: 356.43
- Rush Yards: 116.43
- Passing Yards: 240.00
Latest NFL Betting Trends for Week 16
- Vikings are 8-1 ATS in their last 9 games
- Vikings are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Minnesota’s last 5 games on the road
- Packers are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games
- Packers are 15-8 SU in their last 23 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Green Bay’s last 7 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
I think the Minnesota Vikings defense will keep the Green Bay Packers in check this coming Saturday, which will result in Minnesota winning and covering the spread. I also believe that the total will slip OVER in this one.
Score: Minnesota Vikings 27 – Green Bay Packers 17