After opening as a 3.5-point favorite when the initial Super Bowl 50 odds were released last week, Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers are now listed as 6-point favorites – and that could be a good thing for Broncos betting backers if Denver’s recent ATS trends as an underdog are any indication. The odds from the online sportbook sites have been in constant movement and you can expect a few more bumps along the road before the Big Sunday.
As of this past Thursday, an estimated 80 percent of all money wagered on Super Bowl 50 was bet on Carolina (What a big surprise…). The American Gaming Association reported on Wednesday that Americans will bet $4.2 billion on Super Bowl 50, and 80 percent of the “public money” will be wagered in the three days leading up to the season-ending showdown.
Super Bowl favorites are 32-17 through the years, and that Las Vegas has lost money on just two of the past 26 Super Bowls — the New York Giants’ 2008 upset win over the Patriots and San Francisco 49ers’ blowout of the San Diego Chargers in 1995.
Carolina looks like a virtual lock to at leas get the win considering the fact that the three-time reigning NFC South champions have compiled an incendiary 19-1 SU mark as a favorite of six points or less, though they’re ‘just’ 12-8 ATS over the span.
Hell, the Panthers are a lock to win outright if their 10-0 SU mark over their last 10 games as a favorite of six points or less is to be believed. Carolina is 7-3 ATS over the stretch, but just 3-2 ATS over their last five such contests.
As far as the Over/Under game total is concerned, the opening 45.5-point O/U Total is identical to what it opened at over a week ago.
The bad news however, is that the Broncos and Panthers have both compiled a bunch of Over/Under trends that are pretty much polar opposites.
The Over is 4-0 in Carolina’s last four playoff games and 4-1 in their last five games overall. Conversely, the under is 5-1 in Denver’s last six playoff games and 5-2 in their last seven games overall.
The bottom line is that the Panthers are giving up more points right now that they opened at, making the Broncos a bit more enticing while the game’s Over/Under total is exactly the same as when it opened.
Sports & Betting Topics
Latest News, Tips & Expert Picks
- NFL Rumors & News: Jags Dust off Urban and Deshaun Wants Out of Houston
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Green Bay Packers NFC Championship Round: Odds and Early Picks
- Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs: AFC Championship Round Odds and Computer Picks January 24, 2021
- Possible Super Bowl Matchups After Divisional Round Games
- NFL 2021 Power Rankings After Divisional Round Games
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints NFC Divisional Round: Odds and Early Picks
- Printable Playoff Bracket, Print 2020-2021 Super Bowl 55 Playoff Picture
- Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs: AFC Divisional Round Odds and Computer Picks January 17, 2021
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Traditions Affected By The COVID-19
- Does Patrick Mahomes Need To Win The Super Bowl Again?
- NFL Rumors & Betting News January 14th Edition
- Super Bowl LV Odds Update January 14th Edition
- Is Aaron Rodgers Obliged to Win the Super Bowl?
- NFL 2020-21 NFC Divisional Round Expert Analysis
- NFL 2021 Playoffs Power Rankings Update Jan. 13 Edition