Not everyone who wagers on the NFL takes the same approach in the way they spend their money. Some folks will look for the best straight-up picks, while others will do nothing but bet the spread or the point total. The one thing that many bettors have in common is that they pick and choose the games that they play, and many will steer clear of games that really have no importance in the grand scheme of things. There are probably a lot of football bettors who are not giving the NFL Week 14 spread between the San Francisco 49ers and Houston Texans a second glance. After all, these are two teams that are already out of playoff contention, and who have nothing to play for but pride.
I look at this game and see an opportunity to make some money, which is why I will almost certainly be having this game on one of my parlay tickets this coming Sunday. The Texans are in as a 3-point home favorite for this one, with the point total set at 43 ½.
San Francisco (2-10) at Houston (4-8) NFL Week 14 Spread & Game Preview
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) 7 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Sunday, December 10 at 1 PM EST
- Where: NRG Stadium, Houston
- TV: FOX
- Radio: 107.7 FM (San Francisco) / 100.3 FM (Houston)
- Live Stream: NFL Live
- NFL Week 14 Spread: Houston Texans -2.5 (Over/Under at 44.5)
- Clear: 15°C/59°F
- Humidity: 31%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 2%
- Wind: 2 mph N
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Recent Head to Head (Last 3 Games)
- Record: San Francisco 49ers lead 2-1
- Score: San Francisco 49ers 25.00 / Houston Texans 14.67
- Rush Yards: San Francisco 49ers 139.33 / Houston Texans 103.00
- Pass Attempts: San Francisco 49ers 25.67 / Houston Texans 35.33
- Completion Percentage: San Francisco 49ers 55.84 / Houston Texans 56.60
- Passing Yards: San Francisco 49ers 162.33 / Houston Texans 208.00
- Total Yards: San Francisco 49ers 301.66 / Houston Texans 311.00
- Turnovers: San Francisco 49ers 1.00 / Houston Texans 2.33
Why bet on the San Francisco 49ers?
For the first time in a few years, there is some legitimate positive buzz surrounding the 49ers. Yes, this team has only managed to go 2-10 through their first 12 games, but it’s beginning to look as though they may have found their man at the QB position. Jimmy Garoppolo came over to San Francisco from the Patriots with very little fanfare, but he has made an immediate impact. He came in for a couple of plays against the Seahawks in Week 12, going 2 for 2 and tossing a TD pass during his time on the field.
That was enough to get him the start against the Chicago Bears last week, and while he did not connect for a TD, he still got the win, throwing for close to 300 yards, with the only downside being that he tossed a pick. The 49ers are just 1-5 on the road this season, but they have been competitive in those games, going 4-2 ATS.
- Average Score For: 16.83
- Total Yards: 327.25
- Rush Yards: 100.75
- Passing Yards: 226.50
- Average Score Against: 24.83
- Total Yards: 355.25
- Rush Yards: 123.92
- Passing Yards: 231.33
Why bet on the Houston Texans?
While the 49ers still have a lot of work to do to build their team, the Houston Texans felt that they were close to being very good coming into this season. Rookie QB DeShaun Watson had started playing like he was the final piece of the puzzle for this team, but a season-ending injury has seen the Texans fall apart. It also doesn’t help that they are also without the services of J.J. Watt, as they are now weakened on the offensive and defensive side of the football.
The Texans now only have a single win in their last 6 games and are coming into this one on a 2-game losing skid, during which they have averaged less than 15 PPG on offense. Houston has been a little tougher to beat at home, though, and are currently 3-3 SU and ATS in their own building. They have also beaten the 49ers in each of the last two seasons and will be looking for the threepeat here, which is why the NFL Week 14 spread favors them.
- Average Score For: 24.67
- Total Yards: 348.92
- Rush Yards: 117.00
- Passing Yards: 231.92
- Average Score Against: 25.75
- Total Yards: 340.5
- Rush Yards: 104.75
- Passing Yards: 235.75
Latest NFL Week 14 Betting Trends
- 49ers are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games
- 49ers are 3-22 SU in their last 25 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Francisco’s last 5 games
- Texans are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games
- Texans are 11-4 SU in their last 15 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Houston’s last 5 games at home
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
I think this game will be a close one, but I have to give the edge to the Houston Texans in their own building. I like them to win and cover the NFL Week 14 spread, with the point total going slightly UNDER.
Score: San Francisco 49ers 19 – Houston Texans 23