There are some folks who complain about the current level of parity in the NFL, but there can be no denying that it has made the playoff races more exciting than ever before. With just two weeks left in the 2017 NFL regular season, you need a math degree to figure out all the possible playoff permutations and scenarios, although there are a few games this weekend that should help make things a little clearer heading into the final week of the season. One of those games would be the one that sees the Atlanta Falcons head to the Big Easy to face the NFL Week 16 Lines favorite New Orleans Saints.
Not only will this game go a long way toward deciding who wins the NFC South, it may also have an impact on the playoff standings overall, as both of these teams are currently in. A loss on this one could change things dramatically, though, as the chasing pack is very close indeed.
Atlanta could conceivable go top of the division with a win, but could potentially fall below the playoff line with a loss. It’s all to play for in this one, and the Saints are in as a 6-point favorite. The point total has been set at 52 ½.
Atlanta (9-5) vs. Saints (10-4) NFL Week 16 Lines & Prediction
Falcons vs. Saints.
Atlanta vs. New Orleans.
Georgia vs. Louisiana.
Football thrives down here and that’s one reason why this rivalry is special. pic.twitter.com/77JcI9qmHT
— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) 22 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Sunday, December 24 at 1 PM EST
- Where: Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans
- TV: FOX
- Radio: 92.9 FM (Atlanta) / 105.3 FM (New Orleans)
- Live Stream: NFL Game Pass
- NFL Week 16 Lines: New Orleans Saints -6 (Over/Under at 52.5)
- Clear: 17°C/63°F
- Humidity: 60%
- Precipitation: 1%
- Cloud Cover: 10%
- Wind: 6 mph NNW
- Stadium Type: Indoor
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Atlanta Falcons lead 6-4
- Score: Atlanta Falcons 26.10 / New Orleans Saints 23.30
- Rush Yards: Atlanta Falcons 124.00 / New Orleans Saints 92.30
- Pass Attempts: Atlanta Falcons 36.60 / New Orleans Saints 42.80
- Completion Percentage: Atlanta Falcons 68.31 / New Orleans Saints 67.52
- Passing Yards: Atlanta Falcons 281.80 / New Orleans Saints 313.40
- Total Yards: Atlanta Falcons 405.8 / New Orleans Saints 405.7
- Turnovers: Atlanta Falcons 1.30 / New Orleans Saints 1.70
Why bet on the Atlanta Falcons?
After a bit of a rough start, the Falcons have come to life in the second half of the season, and are coming into this one having won 5 of their last 6 games. That slow start has hurt them, though, as they are still just 3rd in the NFC South, although their 9-4 record is good enough to have them sitting in a Wild Card spot. It’s a tenuous lead for the Falcons, as there are three teams right behind them at 8-6, so they really cannot afford to drop this one and still feel comfortable about having a spot in the postseason.
Atlanta did beat the Saints in their last meeting a couple of weeks ago, but they did so by the skin of their teeth, picking off Drew Brees in the end zone with the Saints looking to go ahead in the game. The Falcons have not had a lot of success in New Orleans, going just 3-8 SU in their last 11 visits, which is why the NFL Week 16 Lines are against them.
- Average Score For: 22.71
- Total Yards: 366.93
- Rush Yards: 123.00
- Passing Yards: 243.93
- Average Score Against: 20.14
- Total Yards: 323.64
- Rush Yards: 106.57
- Passing Yards: 217.07
Why bet on the New Orleans Saints?
The New Orleans Saints are where every team would love to be at this stage of the season, which is atop the division and in control of their own destiny. A win in this one would give them a 4-1 divisional record, which would make them damn near impossible to catch, even if the Panthers to pick up the win against Tampa Bay this weekend.
The Saints are playing .500 ball over the past 4 weeks, but in fairness, both losses came on the road against very good teams: the Falcons and Rams. Let’s not forget that this team is still 10-2 SU in their last 12 games, although they have gone just 1-4 ATS in their last 5. The OVER would appear to be a good bet here, as the 6 of the last 8 meetings between these two in New Orleans have gone that way.
- Average Score For: 28.64
- Total Yards: 401.78
- Rush Yards: 135.14
- Passing Yards: 266.64
- Average Score Against: 20.14
- Total Yards: 328.43
- Rush Yards: 115.00
- Passing Yards: 213.43
Latest NFL Betting Trends for Week 16
- Falcons are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games
- Falcons are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Atlanta’s last 11 games
- Saints are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games
- Saints are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of New Orleans’s last 6 games
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction
I think we can expect another close one here, although I believe it will be the Saints who prevail to back their NFL Week 16 Lines to win. Not so sure they will cover, though, and I think this one may fall just UNDER the point total.
Score: Atlanta Falcons 23 – New Orleans Saints 27