The Dallas Stars will look to get back to their winning ways on Friday night when they take on a New Jersey Devils team that has been inconsistent recently but recorded a big win the last time out. Let’s find out if the Stars can get back in the win column, no matter what the NHL betting odds says, or if the Devils can hold it down at home.
Dallas Stars at New Jersey Devils NHL Betting Preview & Expert Pick
— Dallas Stars (@DallasStars) 14 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Friday, December 15, 2017, 7:00 PM ET
- Where: Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- TV: MSG+ / FS-SW
- Radio: 1310 AM (Dallas) / 101.9 FM (New Jersey)
- Live Stream: NHL.tv
- NHL Betting Odds: TBA
- All: Dallas Stars 18-13-1 / New Jersey Devils 17-9-4
- Home: Dallas Stars 10-4 / New Jersey Devils 7-5-2
- Away: Dallas Stars 8-9-1 / New Jersey Devils 10-4-2
- As Favorite: Dallas Stars 13-7 / New Jersey Devils 7-1-1
- As Underdog: Dallas Stars 5-6-1 / New Jersey Devils 10-8-3
- ATS: Dallas Stars 16-16 / New Jersey Devils 15-15
- Over/Under: Dallas Stars 17-14-1 / New Jersey Devils 16-13-1
Recent Head to Head
- Record: Dallas Stars 5-2-3 / New Jersey Devils 5-3-2
- Score: Dallas Stars 2.40 / New Jersey Devils 2.40
- Shots: Dallas Stars 28.60 / New Jersey Devils 28.30
- Power Play Goals: Dallas Stars 3 / New Jersey Devils 4
- Number of Power Plays: Dallas Stars 28 / New Jersey Devils 20
- Power Play Percentage: Dallas Stars 10.71 / New Jersey Devils 20.00
- Penalty Kill Percentage: Dallas Stars 80.00 / New Jersey Devils 89.29
Why Bet on the Dallas Stars Odds?
Why bet on Dallas (16-16 ATS) in this contest? Well, because the Stars are playing good hockey coming into this affair. Dallas has won two straight and seven of their last 10 games and comes into this contest off a 5-2 smackdown of the Islanders on Wednesday night. Goalie Kari Lehtonen stopped 32 shots to earn his 300th career victory and become the 33rd goalie in NHL history to accomplish the feat.
“It’s a huge moment for him but he was good tonight,” Hitchcock said. “This is one you have to look and say your goalie was your best player because to win in this building and against that team, your goalie is going to have to be your best player.
They’re a top-scoring team in the league. He had to earn it tonight and I thought he did a great job.”
Tyler Pitlick scored twice and Jamie Benn had a goal and two assists for the Stars while Alexander Radulov and Remi Elie also added goals in Dallas’ balanced offensive attack.
“You can’t rely on your best players to get the goals every single game,” Pitlick said, “so when the secondary guys can step up and get some goals, it’s huge.”
The Stars are averaging 2.94 goals per game and allowing 2.84 per contest. Dallas improved to a blistering 15-3 when scoring first and a stellar14-1-1 when leading after two periods.
- Goals: 3.00
- Shots: 32.38
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.56
- Goals: 2.88
- Shots: 29.66
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.75
Why Bet on the New Jersey Devils Odds?
Why bet on New Jersey (15-15 ATS) in this contest? Because the Devils are playing at home and have the better statistical offense (3.07 GPG). The Devils come into this match off a statement-making 5-1 blowout over a Los Angeles Kings team that has gotten off to a fine start this season (20-9).
Taylor Hall scored twice as New Jersey ended L.A.’s eight-game winning streak.
“Hall made some great individual efforts,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “Was a leader tonight.”
The win snapped a two-game losing streak for a New Jersey team that is just 2-3 over their last five.
“Everybody wanted to contribute and get some of that taste out of their mouth from the last two games,” Boyle said. “We saw improvement in everybody and that’s what we need.”
- Goals: 3.13
- Shots: 29.83
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.43
- Goals: 3.07
- Shots: 33.37
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.43
Latest NHL Betting Trends
- Stars are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games on the road
- Stars are 7-3 SU in their last 10 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Dallas’s last 6 games
- Devils are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing Dallas
- Devils are 8-3 SU in their last 11 games when playing at home against Dallas
Expert Analysis and Prediction
The New Jersey Devils may be playing at home in this contest, but I like the Dallas Stars to be our NHL betting pick, simply because they’ve been the more consistent and better defensive team so far this season. The Stars are a near-perfect 7-1 in their last 8 games against teams from the Metropolitan Division, 5-1 in their last 6 road games and 7-3 in their last 10 overall.
While the Devils have gone 4-1 in their last 5 vs. Western Conference teams, they’re also an uninspiring 18-40 in their last 58 games against a team with a winning record and 3-8 in their last 11 home games against a team with a losing road record. The Devils got a big win the last time out, but not this time around, despite being at home.
Pick: Dallas Stars – 4 New Jersey Devils 3