Capitals vs Avalanche
When you have a season as long as what we get in the NHL, it’s never a good idea to assume that any lead is safe. We have seen countless teams over the years begin to get a little tight as they come down the stretch, turning what looks like an easy division win into a 2- or 3- horse race to the finish line. The teams who are sitting just outside the playoff picture tend to get a little desperate at this stage of the season, which often means that they elevate their game and play with a lot of purpose. Divisions tend to tighten up this late in the year, which is exactly what we are seeing at the moment in a couple of them. The Washington Capitals and the Colorado Avalanche are both involved in divisional battles that seem to be getting tighter with each passing day, which makes this meeting one with huge playoff implications. The Capitals are on a mild losing streak and will have a tough time against a Colorado team that appears to be peaking at the right time. The NHL Betting Odds have the Avalanche at -1½ on home ice, with the goal total for this one set at 6½.
Capitals vs Avalanche 2020 NHL Betting Lines & Game Preview
- When: Thursday, Feb 13 at 9:30 PM EST
- Where: Pepsi Center, Denver
- TV: NBCSN
- Radio: Avalanche / Capitals
- TV: NBCSN, Sportsnet, Sportsnet 360, RDS
- NHL Odds: Avalanche -1½ (Total: 6½)
Why Bet on the Washington Capitals?
What looked to be a rather comfortable lead at the top of the Metropolitan Division has slowly been whittled down to just 3 points. The Pittsburgh Penguins are charging, and with the Capitals losing back to back games ahead of this one, things are getting tight in the Metropolitan. You do have to wonder if Alex Ovechkin’s quest for 700 career goals (he is on 698) is proving to be a distraction, as the Capitals have not looked great in their last couple of outings. The Capitals are still 6-4-0 in their last 10, so those losses are surely nothing more than a minor blip. Where the Caps have been outstanding is in road games, where they have gone 20-6-1 this season, as well as going 19-8 ATS in those games. In the last 6 games, the OVER has hit 5 times.
Washington Capitals 2020 NHL Betting Trends and Stats
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Washington’s last 6 games.
- Washington are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games.
- Washington are 9-2 SU in their last 11 games against Colorado.
- Washington are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games on the road.
- Washington are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Colorado.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington’s last 5 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 11 of Washington’s last 16 games against an opponent in the West conference.
- Goals: 3.61
- Shots: 31.96
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.78
- Goals: 3.04
- Shots: 29.75
- PP/PK Percentage: 15.98
Why Bet on the Colorado Avalanche?
Another division that looked to be going the way of the leader is the Central Division. The St. Louis Blues have fallen into a bit of a slump, which has opened the door for the Avalanche, who are now just a single game out of the lead. The Avalanche are rounding into form at just the right time, going 8-1-1 in their last 10 games, which includes a run that has seen them win 5 in a row. Colorado showed that they were a team on the brink of being very good last season, but they are a serious cup contender right now. The Avs have had more win on the road this season than at home, but they are still 15-7-4 on home ice.
Colorado Avalanche 2020 NHL Betting Trends and Stats
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Colorado’s last 5 games.
- Colorado are 5-0 SU in their last 5 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Colorado’s last 6 games against Washington.
- Colorado are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games at home.
- Colorado are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing at home against Washington.
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Colorado’s last 6 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Colorado’s last 6 games against an opponent in the Metropolitan division.
- Goals: 3.64
- Shots: 32.91
- PP/PK Percentage: 32.91
- Goals: 2.80
- Shots: 31.91
- PP/PK Percentage: 21.56
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
This will be the second and final meeting of the year for these two. The Avalanche went into Washington and pulled out a 6-3 win in the previous meeting. I think we can expect to see more goals in this one, which is why I am on the OVER.
Washington Capitals 4 – Colorado Avalanche 5 | Bet Now