It is a bit of a crazy time in the world of sports at the moment, as we are seeing the NBA and the MLS suspend their seasons for a period of time, while other games and leagues are now being played behind closed doors. Unless you have been living under a rock, you will already know that the coronavirus scare is having a major impact on the world at the moment, so it’s tough to say just how dire things are going to get. For now, the NHL is conducting business as usual, and with the playoffs right around the corner, it would be a major blow to see that league come to a grinding halt too. All that teams can do at the moment is continue to play, which they will do on Thursday night, with this matchup being one of the biggest on the schedule. It looks as though the Boston Bruins are going to take the Eastern Conference, but these two are in the conversation for the #2 seed. The Tampa Bay Lightning come into this one favored by 1 ½ on home ice, with the goal total set at 6. Let’s see how the NHL odds will be for the Flyers vs Lightning.
Flyers vs Lightning 2020 NHL Game Preview & Betting Odds
- When: Thursday, March 12 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Amalie Arena, Tampa Bay
- TV coverage: NBCSN (check local listings); coverage starts at 7:30 p.m. ET
- Radio coverage: WFLA 970-AM, Lightning Power Play
- Where to stream it: NBCSN or NHL.TV
- NHL Odds: Tampa Bay Lightning -1.5 / Total 6
Why bet on the Philadelphia Flyers
There is no team in the NHL hotter than the Philadelphia Flyers right now. Yes, they are coming off a 2-0 loss to the Boston Bruins, who just so happen to be the best team in the league, but they had won 9 games in a row prior to that defeat. It is a run that has basically come out of nowhere for this team, but also one that has vaulted them up into second in the Metropolitan Division, where they are now just 1 point back of the Washington Capitals. Perhaps the bigger prize, though, is the chance to get the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference, which the Flyers can edge closer to with a win here. That will be easier said than done, as Philly has lost both previous meetings with the Lightning this season. Overall, the Flyers are 16-15-3 on the road.
- Goals: 3.36
- Shots: 31.39
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.7
- Goals: 2.84
- Shots: 28.65
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.1
Why bet on the Tampa Bay Lightning
The Tampa Bay Lightning were recently on a tear that looked a lot like where Philly are at the moment, but they have cooled off dramatically over the past couple of weeks. The Lightning are coming into this one on the heels of back to back wins and are now just 3-6-1 in their last 10 games. They are still holding on to the #2 seed in the Eastern Conference, but the gap is getting smaller with each passing day. They are currently 3 points ahead of the Flyers in the Conference, so a win here could give them a little extra breathing room. The Lightning will certainly like their chances at home, where they are 22-10-2 this season, plus they will also like the fact that they have 2 wins over the Flyers this season already, outscoring them 6-3 in those 2 games.
- Goals: 3.5
- Shots: 31.1
- PP/PK Percentage: 23.11
- Goals: 2.79
- Shots: 30.91
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.53
Flyers vs Lightning NHL Betting Trends
- Philadelphia are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games.
- Philadelphia are 0-7 SU in their last 7 games against Tampa Bay.
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Philadelphia’s last 7 games on the road.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Philadelphia’s last 5 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay.
- Philadelphia are 10-2 SU in their last 12 games this season.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Tampa Bay’s last 12 games.
- Tampa Bay are 3-7 SU in their last 10 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Tampa Bay’s last 10 games against Philadelphia.
- Tampa Bay are 13-3 SU in their last 16 games at home.
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Tampa Bay’s last 5 games when playing at home against Philadelphia.
Flyers vs Lightning Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
It is going to be interesting to see how the Flyers react to their loss to the Bruins. Will they bounce right back, or will the rot begin to set in? I have a feeling that they bounce back and at the very least cover the spread in this one.
Philadelphia Flyers 3 Tampa Bay Lightning 4