The New York Islanders and Colorado Avalanche will both be going all out to get back in the win column when they square off in their mid-week matchup at the Pepsi Center on Wednesday night. With both teams in a bit of desperation mode coming into this one, let’s find out which team is offering the best value against their NHL Odds. Let’s see how the NHL betting odds will be for the Islanders vs Avalanche.
Islanders vs Avalanche NHL Spread, Analysis and Picks
- When: Wednesday February 19, 2020 at 10:00 PM ET
- Where: Pepsi Center, Denver, CO
- TV: Alti, MSG+
- NHL Odds: New York +140/Colorado -161 / Total: 5.5
Why Bet On New York
The Islanders have dropped three straight and come into this contest off a narrow 2-1 loss to Arizona on Monday night. Anthony Beauvillier scored the only goal for the Isles in the loss while goalie Semyon Varlamov took the loss by allowing two goals on 32 shots.
“When you put three in a row together where you only get one goal, it starts to wear on you, but you can’t let it get to you and we’ve got to figure it out and keep pressing,” captain Anders Lee said following New York’s loss on Monday.
The Islanders average a modest 2.8 goals per game (22nd), but limit the opposition to just 2.7 goals per game to rank seventh in goals allowed. New York has gone a solid 15-12-1-1 on the road this season.
- Goals: 2.88
- Shots: 29.28
- PP/PK Percentage: 18.18
- Goals: 2.74
- Shots: 31.62
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.87
NY Islanders NHL Betting Trends
- Islanders are 15-5 in their last 20 vs. Central.
- Islanders are 3-7 in their last 10 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Islanders are 1-4 in their last 5 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Islanders are 2-9 in their last 11 Wednesday games.
- Islanders are 1-6 in their last 7 games as a road underdog.
- Islanders are 1-7 in their last 8 games as an underdog.
Why Bet On Colorado
The Avalanche have also dropped three in a row including a 4-3 overtime loss against red-hot Tampa Bay on Monday. Andre Burakovsky, Nathan MacKinnon and Ryan Graves all lit the lamp, but goalie Pavel Francouz allowed all four goals on 27 shots to get saddled with the loss. Colorado is dealing with a bunch of injuries to several of their key performers.
“I think every team’s going through it a little bit,” Colorado coach Jared Bednar said. “But you start racking them up with Grubauer, Kadri, Calvert, now Mikko, our other guys got to step up. It’s a great opportunity.”
Colorado averages 3.6 goals per game to rank first in scoring while limiting the opposition to 2.8 goals per game defensively (9th). The Avalanche have gone 15-9-5 at home this season.
- Goals: 3.55
- Shots: 32.83
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.4
- Goals: 2.83
- Shots: 31.78
- PP/PK Percentage: 21.71
Colorado Avalanche NHL Betting Trends
- Avalanche are 4-0 in their last 4 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Avalanche are 5-0 in their last 5 when their opponent scores 2 goals or less in their previous game.
- Avalanche are 4-0 in their last 4 Wednesday games.
- Avalanche are 35-17 in their last 52 games playing on 1 days rest.
- Avalanche are 2-5 in their last 7 vs. a team with a winning record.
- Avalanche are 1-5 in their last 6 vs. Metropolitan.
Islanders vs Avalanche Expert Analysis and Prediction
While both of these teams have dropped three straight, New York has been limited to a pitiful one goal over the stretch while Colorado has put a combined six goals on the board over their last three. The Islanders are 1-4 in the last 5 road dates against Colorado while the home team in this series has gone 19-5-1 in the last 25 meetings. The Islanders are 5-11 in their last 16 games against teams from the Western Conference and 1-4 in their last 5 road games. Conversely, Colorado has gone 8-3 in their last 11 games as a favorite and they are by far, the better offensive team in this matchup. The Avalanche win by at least two goals to cover the NHL Puck Line!
Pick: Colorado 4 NY Islanders 2