With about three-quarters of the NFL regular season now in the books, the final stretch of games will see teams start to seriously jockey for those coveted playoff positions. We already know which teams are safe and guaranteed a spot, as those just happen to be the same teams that are battling it out for the top spot in their respective conferences. While winning the President’s Trophy for the best record in the league is a nice accolade, teams will tell you that it’s finishing first in the conference that is the most important. After all, landing that top spot means getting home ice advantage all the way through the playoffs. It’s beginning to look as though the Western Conference winner will be one of two teams, but things are a little tighter in the eastern Conference. The race for the #1 spot there has come to life now that the Tampa Bay Lightning are hot again. The Washington Capitals are right there, too, and will try to keep pressure on the Bruins with a win over the Islanders tonight. It’s Washington favored by 1 ½ at home, with the goal total set at 6.
Islanders vs Capitals 2020 NHL Betting Lines & Game Preview
- When: Monday, February 10 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Capital One Arena, Washington
- Radio: New York / Washington
- TV: ESPN+
- NHL Odds:
Why bet on the New York Islanders
The Metropolitan Division has been so good this year that we are seeing the distinct possibility of 5 teams making it into the playoffs from that division. The New York Islanders are currently in the mix after going 31-16-6 and amassing 68 points. That has them sitting in the Wild Card right now, but they could easily move a little higher with a good run of form. The downside is that the race is tight right now, with just a single point separating the Islanders from the playoff line. The Islanders are coming in off a loss that dropped them to 4-4-2 over the last 10 games. They are 14-9-2 on the road this season, which includes a win over the Capitals in a visit to the nation’s capital earlier this season. The road team has won all 3 games in this series so far this season.
New York Islanders 2020 NHL Betting Trends and Stats
- NY Islanders are 3-6 SU in their last 9 games against Washington.
- NY Islanders are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games on the road.
- NY Islanders are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Washington.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Islanders’ last 5 games played in February.
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of NY Islanders’ last 13 games played on a Monday.
- Goals: 2.94
- Shots: 29.47
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.67
- Goals: 2.74
- Shots: 31.43
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.57
Why bet on the Washington Capitals
You can bet that the Washington Capitals main focus is on holding off the surging Pittsburgh Penguins and winning the Metropolitan Division. Their lead at the top is 4 points right now, but they are also just 3 points back of the Boston bruins for top spot in the East and the best record in the NHL. The possibility of home ice advantage throughout the playoffs will guarantee that the Capitals take a serious run at the Bruins in the final weeks of the regular season. The Capitals come into this one having won 6 of their last 10 games. They have more wins on the road than at home, but the Caps are still 16-8-4 on home ice, while going a poor 10-18 ATS in those outings.
Washington Capitals 2020 NHL Betting Trends and Stats
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington’s last 5 games.
- Washington are 6-3 SU in their last 9 games.
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Washington’s last 7 games against NY Islanders.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington’s last 5 games at home.
- Washington are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing at home against NY Islanders.
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Washington’s last 8 games this season.
- Washington are 5-2 SU in their last 7 games against an opponent in the East conference.
- Goals: 3.62
- Shots: 32.02
- PP/PK Percentage: 19.55
- Goals: 3.04
- Shots: 29.75
- PP/PK Percentage: 15.98
Islanders vs Capitals Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The 3 games that these two have already played against one another this season have been close, with 2 of them decided by a single goal. I think that the Capitals will be the first to win at home in this series, but I do like the Islanders to cover.
Prediction: New York Islanders 2 Washington Capitals 3