On Friday night, The Pens head to Edmonton to battle the Oilers in an interesting Eastern versus Western conferences matchup. Pittsburgh is the big road favorite. Will the Penguins get it done on Edmonton’s home ice? Or, will the Oilers add a loss to the Pens’ record? Keep reading for NHL odds, a preview and an analysis of Penguins vs Oilers!
Penguins vs Oilers 2019 NHL Spread, Game Info & Expert Pick
- When: Friday, Dec. 20 at 9:00 pm ET
- Where: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB, CA
- TV: RSNE, ESPN+
- Moneyline Odds: Penguins -147, Oilers +109
Why the Pittsburgh Penguins are a good bet to win -147?
The Pens are on fire. They’ve gone 6-1 SU in their last 7. Among the wins was a 3-0 victory against St. Louis on Dec. 4. They beat Detroit 5-3 on the road, Columbus 1-0 in overtime, the L.A. Kings 5-4 in a shootout, and the Calgary Flames 4-1 on the road. Pittsburgh has played as well as any team in NHL this month. They can keep it going versus the Oilers on Friday.
- Goals For: 3.3
- Shots For: 33.7
- Power Plays: 16.8%
- Face-Offs: 49.2%
- Goals Against: 2.7
- Shots Against: 29.3
- Penalty Kills: 81.8%
- Shutouts: 1
Why the Edmonton Oilers are a good bet to win +109?
Edmonton hasn’t won a lot of games in their last 10. They played great in their last couple, though. On Dec. 16, they beat the Dallas Stars 2-1. In their next game versus the St. Louis Blues, they only lost 1-2. The Oilers bested the Penguins 2-1 on Nov. 2. That was the last time these 2 battled. On their home ice, Edmonton can pull off the slight upset.
- Goals For: 3.0
- Shots For: 29.1
- Power Plays: 32.4%
- Face-Offs: 48.1%
- Goals Against: 3.1
- Shots Against: 31.2
- Penalty Kills: 84%
- Shutouts: 2
NHL Betting Trends for Pittsburgh Penguins vs Edmonton Oilers
- Pittsburgh is 6-1 SU in their last 7 games
- Penguins are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 5-0 SU in their last 5 games on the road versus Edmonton
- The total has gone over in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 5 games on the road
- Edmonton is 1-5 SU in their last 6 games
- Oilers are 1-6 SU in their last 7 home games
- Under is 5 of the last 6 Oiler games versus the Penguins
- The total has gone Under in 6 of Edmonton’s last 8 games against an Eastern Conference opponent
Penguins vs Oilers NHL Betting Analysis
Even though Pittsburgh is on fire, their road record remains 6-6-2. The Penguins have a losing record in away games if we count the 2 overtime losses. That makes Pittsburgh a tough favorite to back against a solid Edmonton Oilers squad.
Yes, the Oilers have fallen to earth after a ridiculous start. But their home record remains decent at 8-6-3. Edmonton played well enough to upset St. Louis in their last. Not only that, but the Oilers haven’t allowed more than a goal in their last 2 games. Edmonton can cool off the Penguins on Friday night. Back the Oilers to get the victory.
NHL Free Pick: Oilers +109