With the midway point of the NBA season now fast approaching, we have some questions that need to be answered, the most important of which is if anyone can run down the leaders in each of the conferences. The Milwaukee Bucks have taken a stranglehold on the Eastern Conference, while the LA Lakers have opened up a nice little lead at the top of the West. There is a ton of basketball to be played between now and the end of the regular season, so it is altogether too early to crown either of those two teams as the champions of their respective conferences, but you do have to wonder of any team is up for the challenge in the second half.
In the East, it is the Miami Heat who look set to pose the biggest challenge to the Bucks, while in the West, there are 2 or 3 teams who might be ready to make a run. The Houston Rockets are certainly in that group and they will try to keep their positive run going when they visit Oklahoma City on Thursday night. The Rockets are favored by 4 points, with the point total set at 226 ½.
Rockets vs Thunder 2020 NBA Odds & Expert Analysis
- When: Thursday, January 9 at 9:30 PM EST
- Where: Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City
- TV: TNT
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Houston Rockets -4 (Total 226.5)
Why bet on the Houston Rockets?If the Houston Rockets are to make a serious run at the top in the second half of the season, they need to find a way to eliminate the little dips in form that have plagued them through the first half. They certainly seem to have put that behind them right now, as they are coming into this game on a 3-game winning streak that has taken them to 8-2 in their last 10 games.
Overall, the Rockets are now 25-11 on the season, which has them sitting 4 ½ games back of the LA Lakers at the top of the West. Houston is sitting at 12-7 on the road this season, plus they already have a 116-112 win over OKC this season, although that one came on home court. The Rockets are 8-5 versus teams with a winning record.
- Total Score: 119.44
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.51
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.07
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.77
- Total Rebounds: 47.36
- Total Score: 113.89
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.58
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.91
- Free Throw Percentage: 75.56
- Total Rebounds: 46.25
Why bet on the Oklahoma City Thunder?The Oklahoma City Thunder are coming into this one on a great run of form, winning 8 of their last 10 games. It has been a much needed run, as the playoff line was getting a little too close for comfort for OKC prior to this winning streak. As it stands now, OKC are sitting at 21-16 on the season, 9 games off the pace being set by the Lakers, but also a comfortable 5 ½ games up on the team sitting just below the playoff line.
The Thunder have reserved their best performances for home games, going 12-6 in their own building, but they have also struggled a little against teams with a winning record, going 5-10 SU in those outings. The Thunder are a perfect 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games.
- Total Score: 108.81
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.43
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.09
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.10
- Total Rebounds: 43.51
- Total Score: 107.35
- Field Goal Percentage: 45.39
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.37
- Free Throw Percentage: 80.17
- Total Rebounds: 45.03
Rockets vs Thunder 2020 NBA Betting Trends
- Thunder are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games at home
- Thunder are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games played in January
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Oklahoma City’s last 8 games
- Rockets are 7-2 SU in their last 9 games on the road
- Rockets are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games played in January
- The total has gone OVER in 8 of Houston’s last 12 games against an opponent in the Western conference
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Rockets vs ThunderBoth of these teams are playing some very good basketball at the moment, but I think it’s going to be tough for the Rockets to pick up road wins on back to back nights. I like Houston to win, but I am playing it safe and taking the Thunder to cover.
Score: Houston Rockets 118 – Oklahoma City Thunder 115